duck brooder idea

FrenchHen

Chicken Ambassador
10 Years
Jan 26, 2009
Bagshot Row
I don't have ducks, but we wants them, precious.
If I built a duck brooder that was floored with hardware cloth and put a tray underneath, would that keep things cleaner and easier to manage? Or must ducks brood on something softer like shavings?

Hardware cloth can lead to bumble foot if they don't have any shavings. Fortunately some cheap, easy rinsable shelf liner can be put on the hardware cloth and it will work pretty well.

I made a "double decker" brooder out of some rubbermaid tubs that is effectively what you described.

1002409.jpg

1002408.jpg

1002406.jpg

Poo does build up on the shelf liner, but the liquid all falls in to the bedding underneath and you can rinse it off the liner with a pressure nozzle on a hose pretty quickly.

Yup
big_smile.png

I call the feather duster the "babysitter". It works great if you end up with a solo hatch. I had that happen TWICE. The feather duster and a mirror helped keep my solos from ending up as needy and neurotic messes
tongue.png

Ah another LOTR fan gotta love em. hehehe Okay now that I have snapped the elf out of mind...

I started with a tote and tonight I moved them into my garden tub
lol.png

It looks goofy and I will gets pics for you...I put a strainer over the drainer so the water can go down and nothing else. A shelf liner under the waterer for them to walk in next to it a towel for them to walk across and their feeder then next to that a big ole sheet balled up under the heat lamp for them to sleep on.

They are doing great and there is very little mess to clean up and everything is not wet. YAY

I will post pics tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom