My blind hen went broody!PictureS! Updated 8/7/09

SeramaLife

Drowning in Seramas
10 Years
Feb 19, 2009
North Central WA
She is about 4 years old. As a chick, she was stepped on badly. After that incident, she couldn't keep up with her mom and I took her inside. She is a half silkie, part EE and who knows what. She went blind at gradually at age 3. She finds food and water by the sound of other chickens eating and drinking. I found her sitting on eggs!! Her family has a long history of extreme broodiness (she is a 3rd generation mutt). She doesn't growl because she can't see who it is, but she is definitely sitting. I want to let her brood, it will give her a purpose. She can't always see the eggs that need to be rolled under. I think she might actually hatch something. Any suggestions? Should I let her? She happens to be brooding under a roost
roll.png

The picture is are working now:

23256_img_2522.jpg

Last edited:
Lets see, well first things first, get her into a safe crate, or hutch with an enclosed run so she will be safe with her eggs. She will be a great mom, but blind poultry have a habit of ALWAYS wanting everything to stay the same. You will have to make sure to keep her food and water next to her, and show and teach her were that certain spot is. She should be an exellent mom, her hearing is EXEPTIONAL, so she wont have any problem hearing her peeps, literally!!! Pm me for more help. Also, yo may need her seperate are to be easy for her to get in and out oof. You would not want her bonking her head against the wallls, do we????

BAB:D

Last edited:
I think you should definately let her be a mommy. I personally have two completely blind roos that are bff's & they manage quite well. Im sure youve seen that for yourself. Just have her in an area that she'll be safe & within easy reach for you. cant wait to see some pics !

Agree, go for it. Unfortunate that you need to move her from under the roost. she should be able to manage moving/turning the eggs fine without sight. Well, she could lose track of one, I suppose. Let her anyway, I say! And good for you for letting her live a good chicken life in spite of her problems.

Aww...That is so sweet! Of course you should let her hatch them, it will give her hope and purpose
smile.png
I have read that chickens communicate with their babies with sound while in the egg. This is how they know when the eggs are too hot or too cold. So I think she will be fine. More pictures please!
big_smile.png

She isn't going to hatch anything. I keep finding her sitting an inch or two in front of the eggs because she missed the nest.
I had another little chick hatch, so I put it under her.
I put her under a milk crate with food and water. She has found the water, but I can't seem to find a way to show her that she has food. HELP!!!! I don't want her to starve!
She is the happiest hen in the world. She clucks for that chick and does everything she is supposed to, even trying to peck me. She is extremely unhappy when it is gone. She would do anything for that little fluffball, even starving. How do I get her to eat? I can not release her back into the flock, she would lose the chick.

hm.. try putting her feet into the food or on the side of the food dish. thats what i do for my blind roo. When he gets fresh water or food, i either put his feet in the water or in the food dish & i put his feet on the side of the food dish & make noises with the food. good luck & keep up posted !

I got her to eat! I took some more pictures with her and her chick, but I just ran out of image storage space and would hate to delete any pictures. They are SSSSSSSOOOOOO cute!
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom