Showing Cochins

Kennyog

Songster
10 Years
May 7, 2009
Oak Grove
I'am interested in Cochins and showing them.We want to get our grandson involved.Where would we get stock good enough? Where would we learn how to show them? We like the standard and bantam.Is one shown more than the other? Thank you in advance for the replies. Ken.

Ken,
I have been in cochins for a long time and have raised most every variety of them. I currrently show large cochins in black, blue, buff, brown red and white. I have bantams in black and birchen but the birchens are not ready yet for the show pen.
I suggest visiting www.cochinsrule.com which has a forum to ask questions of cochin breeders. Most of these guys are very free with advise and it is good advise.
If you would be interested in some of my birds you may check out my website at www.garrettnest.com to see some examples of our cochins which have won at several levels across the nation.
Bantam cochins are show in far greater numbers than the large cochins generally because the large cochins are just that, "LARGE" weighing about 11 lbs for the males and 8 to 9 lbs for the hens.
Showing them is a job in itself! I normally show about 20 cochins per show I attend, 5 to 10 bantams and about 10 to 15 large fowl depending on what is ready at the time.
Foot feathering and softness of feather are major things to consider with cochins as are roundness and massive features.
Cochins should be round in every aspect with broad heads, heavily feathered feet and a profuse amount of underfluff which gives them an even more massive appearance than they already would posess.
I wash my cochins before each show because the foot feathers and vent feathers tend to get messy pretty quickly. I wash them in a pet shampoo for fleas and ticks as this eliminates any mites, or lice the birds may have picked up at previous shows and then I wash the white birds in a whitening shampoo for horses. Always be carefull using whitening shampoos, they are normally dark colored shampoos, blue or purple, and will stain the bird that color if not used correctly. Always place the shampoo in your hand first and lather it up there then apply it to the bird you have previously washed in pet shampoo, if you apply this to a dry bird it will stain them as well. Lather them up really good and make sure to work it in the feathers well, leaving no dark spots of shampoo. Let them stand for about a minute then rinse with warm water until completely free of soap. Place them in a dry towel, burrito wrap, to absorb excess water then place them in a cage in the sun to dry. Placing them in the sun for a short period while drying enhances the whitening. I normally finish with blow drying the bird till they are completely dry and fluffy, no they do not mind, and ususally get to where they enjoy it.

Hope I have helped,

Bo

Back
Top Bottom