Brahma-Cochin Bantam Cross (Hen and Chick Photos)

Scott

Ozark Bantams
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Looks like I've got an light brahma/black cochin cross in my flock that's been masquerading as a pure black cochin bantam!

Here's the situation: I currently maintain a flock of black cochin bantams. At one time, however, I had a trio of light brahma bantams (one rooster and two hens). A year or so ago, I got rid of the brahmas so that I could focus on one breed: black cochin bantams. I'm always looking to improve my flock's type by getting rid of those birds that do not conform to type. I recently noticed that one of my assumed-to-be black cochin hens lacked a distinct "cushion" tail and had a pea comb as opposed to a single comb. The particular bird I am referring to is pictured below in the first photo. As you can see, she is a beautiful bird but not at all "typey". She is obviously all black like all my other black cochins, but is a bit more streamline that my other girls and has a pea comb. I originally thought her pea comb was an under developed single comb, but the more I though about it I began to have a sneaking suspicion that she might be the result of a cross between one of my black cochins and one of the light brahmas I once had. I thought it unusual however that she would be pure black with no white from the light brahma, so I wasnt sure if my hunch was correct. This particular hen has been setting on 12 eggs. They began hatching yesterday afternoon (see them here ). To my surprise, one of the chicks is almost all yellow with a bit of grey on its back (nothing like a black cochin chick). In other words, the chick looks just like a light brahma chick. So, I am now convinced that this pretty little hen is indeed a light brahma-black cochin bantam cross. Until very recently, I simply thought she was an un-typey black cochin bantam. And has been lurking in my flock as such until I finally figured her out with the birth of this light brahma looking chick. Just thought I'd share my interesting surprise!

Light Brahma-Black Cochin Hen:
photos06.jpg

Black Cochin Chick (Right), The Bramha-Cochin Hen's Chick (Left)
photos10.jpg

Last edited:
You live and learn and sometimes you get surprised.

Well now you can sell her and her babies if you want to keep your strains true.

Quote:
I don't think there is such a breed. And at any rate, I think that would be a bit deceptive. Like I said, she is a really pretty bird. After she raises this clutch, I plan on getting rid of her and her offspring. If anyone wants her, let me know.

Yes, black is a variety of Brahmas...

I did not know that. Looking them up now....

Is it uncommon that she would have turned out entirely black considering that light brahmas are predominately white?​

Last edited:
Quote:
You could, but if you are selling them then it is unethical and downright dishonest to do so. Just because it looks like a cochin (or brahma) does not mean it is a cochin, nor will it produce cochins. I want my flock true to "breed" and type. When I sell her, I will do so as what she is: a 50/50 brahma-cochin cross. Pretty though she may be, she is not true to type (brahma or cochin), nor will her offspring be. There are many beautiful crosses, some of them are breath-taking in appearance and have great personalities (such as this hen), I just don't want any in my flock. It all depends on the your purpose for raising chickens. Mine is to maintain a healthy hobby flock of black cochin bantams that lay well and are as true to type as possible.

Last edited:
Quote:
Aw that's a shame. Here I am working on Barred Langshans...
sad.png

Scott, I don't know why as I'm not huge on genetics, but when I have crossed my Light Brahmas with black birds, all the offspring are black.

Back
Top Bottom