Ivomec (scaly leg mites)...*PICS ADDED*

KKluckers

Time Out
12 Years
Sep 4, 2007
I picked up a few hens and roosters from this gal. Well they have scaly leg mites. I want to give them Ivomec (ivermectin) the book by Gail Damerow says 5-7 drops for bantams and 1/4 cc for standard. That seems like a lot to me (powerful stuff.) I have them quarantined. Don't want my other birds getting it. So how much do I give them. Has anyone else used this before? I also put mineral oil on there legs to help suffocate the mites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing I havent bought it yet. I will try what the post says. Thanks so much for the info.
big_smile.png

Thanks, dlhunicorn, that was very helpful!! It seems like it's a pretty drastic-looking thing that we would be sure to notice in our little flock. One of our new girls has ONE loose scale on her knuckle.... but she just got it since she arrived here so I am guessing it's an injury. It looks like a skinned knuckle, sort of, just one scale that's loose. When she gets a little more used to things around here I'll take her out and check it.
Stacey

Those are really severve. Wow. I will try to take pictures of mine today and post them here.

You can also kill scally leg mites with Tea Tree oil ointment or the oil dilute to about 10% with any salad oil like corn or canola. YOu only have to treat once since Tea Tree liks the eggs as well, if you sue just oil you have to keep it up for 10 days at least. You might find that cheeper as Ivomec you generally have to buy way more than you need for a few chickens. Of course you get the chickens wormed too with Ivomec so that's an advantage.

The safety of Ivomec is very high so don't worry about ovedosing, like Diana said dose high to make sure that the treatment is effective.

Okay here are some pics... the first one is the hen. All the hens legs look like this.

chickens137.jpg

chickens139-1.jpg

Here is the rooster hes not that bad.
chickens141.jpg

I think the lady didnt even know what the problem was. She even said she showed a few of her cochin bantams. I just dont want to spread this to my flock that is why I think Ivomec the best solution. All my girls have beautiful legs.

Ive just been putting mineral oil on there legs...I will try the tee tree oil thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom