My Rooster, Clucky...yes he's a meat bird...

carolina chicky

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
South Carolina
I have read a lot about how meat chickens and Cornish X breed in particular have gotten a bad rep of being nasty, mean and good for nothing but to fatten up and eat. Well, I'd like to share my story and experience with my Cornish X Rooster, Clucky.
In late March I went to visit my father who runs a commercial chicken farm. He had just gotten a flock of baby's in and they were a mere 4 days old. There were thousands of them and they looked like a yellow carpet rolled out in the chicken houses. I went in to one of the houses and picked up a little furball that wasn't moving as fast as the others, looked as if he was tired or sick. They told me that they would probably kill it to keep the others from picking on it, so I decided to take it home with me.
Well, I wrapped him up in my jacket and away we went. I had no other chickens yet at this time, no supplies, no heat lamp, nothing.
I decided to call him Clucky. I had no intentions of eating him, I just wanted this cute little chick as a pet.

So I decided to fix up a cardboard box with some pine shavings and a heating pad. I rolled up the heating pad like a tunnel and put my new baby chick inside. He promptly took to the heating pad, laying inside with nothing but his furry little chicken butt sticking out. He'd come out every few minutes or so and eat. And boy did he eat. At night he would peep loudly unless I kept the heating pad close to him. It didn't have to be turned on, he just wanted it nearby for some reason. Otherwise he was pretty quiet. As the days went by I could hardly keep enough food for him. I didn't know that letting him eat so much was going to cause problems for him, I just figured he was hungry.

Well, a few weeks went by and he grew so fast you could almost watch him growing. He grew too fast for his feathers to keep up so I had this rather ugly, fat wobbly chick on my hands. When he was about 6 weeks old, I bought some more chickens, one of which was an 8 week old Barred Rock Hen.
He was considerable larger that she was, but I decided to house them together in my makeshift chicken coop (which was now a larger box with a screen over the top).
A few more weeks passed and the pair got moved to a wire cage type dog box. They became inseperable. If you took one away the other would peep and run about looking for their mate.
Well weeks passed and Clucky got larger and larger. At about 8 weeks old, I went out to check on him and he could hardly breath.
I began to research this breed and problems with this breed and discovered that they are basically bred to eat and be killed, which is fine, I mean I am not trying to knock the food business, I just wanted to save my pet. So, on advice from another BYC member, I gave him a crushed aspirin.
By morning he was better. Soon, the two were moved into the big coop with the other chickens. Clucky was, and is much bigger than the rest. He is still in love with his "girlfriend" the Barred Rock, and he will guard and defend her like any brave man.
A lot of people say that these breeds won't do normal chicken stuff, like peck at the ground, run, etc. but maybe Clucky is an exception.
Once he got around the other chickens, I started noticing a change. He no longer lingers around the food dish, he pecks happily at the ground making a cheerful "cluck cluck" sound, he runs to the door of the coop to greet me when I come out, and he forages in the grass as well as any of the others.
Sure, he stays dirtier that the others, and he is larger than they are, but to me he is a great pet. He seems to do better and better each day. I have to keep an eye on him, giving him small doses of aspirin on a regular schedule and limiting his food, but it's worth it to me.
Lots of people tell me to just eat him, but why would I want to end his life so quickly. I mean he seems to be enjoying himself like any other chicken, plus it would break his 'girlfriends' heart.
I just wanted to share with everyone about Clucky. Maybe someone else has a meaty breed they enjoy as much as I do mine.
They are not all bad
smile.png

Another GREAT post on Cornish X chickens.

I honestly don't know why other people don't like this breed. My Dad alway had chickens,as do most people around here(were out in the sticks)but I've yet to see other breeds as friendly as my Cornish X's...and smart!

I wonder if the reason people think they are "dirty chickens" is because they are white and show more dirt?

I have 12-10 week old Cornish X's(my only chickens) They free range all day. They forage around just like any other chicken. From other threads I have read on here,people kept writing how Cornish X just lay around and eat all day. Mine do not. Unless it' the middle of the day and the sun is out hot,they are going all over the yard and into the woods and horses pasture looking for food. If it's just too hot out,they go under my shed for the shade,or under the tree for a bit. But not long,then they are out and about.

Anyhow,just glad to see another positive Cornish X thread on here...not many of them on this board I've noticed.

yes they can make good roostes, and will give you lots of joy and lots of big chicks...
lol.png
and if all fails they make a near turkey size dinner.............

this is REX my Broiler Sire Cockerel at 5 months..

Yes, I think maybe it's the fact that they are white and show more dirt. Clucky doesn't lay around eating all day either. He is my favorite of the bunch
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Clucky is such a handsome boy. It is nice to hear a good story about meat birds once in a while. I hope he lives a nice long life so you can get some chicks out of him and his girlfriend.
big_smile.png

Clucky is lucky to have such a good caring owner.
One of the guys my DH works with gets his backyard chickens directly from the commercial houses as day olds. They are cared for by his elderly mother. Some provide their eggs and some provide them with meat.
All of my late mother-in-law's backyard chickens were chicks that were meant for the commercial house, but were diverted to the secret coop in the backyard. Secret because the family was broiler farmers for a poultry company, but since my late FIL was the "chicken doctor" for the same company they never had to worry about someone from the poultry company coming onto the property to find out.
DH tells me all her birds lived a couple of years, at least; including a roo that the girls called Festus.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom