Who uses Diatomaceous Earth?

First-time-raising

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 20, 2007
Mid - Michigan
I'm interested in what people think about using Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth in and around there coops and on there chickens regularly to keep fleas and ticks at bay.

Would like to hear any positive and negitive answers.

THANKS

I used Di Earth (as I call it!) and it's been great with my birds. I noticed they got lice early this Fall and cleaned BOTH coops and dusted everything and birds with Di Earth and have not shown ANY sign of lice or mites. (knock on wood!) Any time I clean the coops now I dust after wards. Not the birds since they do it in the boxes. LOL! It's also a good idea to dust with Di Earth anywhere they do their dust baths. I also have a pile of ash from burning in a spot for them to dust...it's suppose to help them with lice and mites. They like it ok.

I am VERY happy with Di Earth. Good luck!

Pedro

I use DE around all the cracks in my coop/nestboxes, and I sometimes mix it in with their food. (That is, when I remember to.
smile.png
) It really helps to prevent lice, ticks, fleas, and mites away. I haven't found any of them on my hens. I would really recommend using it - it works wonders!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a huge DE fan....Use it on ALL my animlas..not just fowl.

In the coop shavings
In the nest boxes
In their favorite dust bathing spots
In their feed
ON any new arrivals---they're usually rescues....and of course they usually have some kind of mites or other!

No need to put it on the chickens as they're dusting themselves everytime they dustbathe in the areas I have put DE.

I also noticed that my coop has NO flies.....I credit that to DE drying out the poops making it unusable for flies and therefore the population of flies has dramatically lowered.

Sandra

I use it in feed, nestboxes, coop everywhere. I wear goggles (I have sensitive eyes and contacts) and a mask when I spread it just so I don't inhale it. My chickens have not had fleas, mites, lice or worms as of yet. I love it.

The turkeys, chickens, cats, dogs and sheep all get a dose everyday in their feed. I use it to spinkle on coop floors, wet spots in the yard( flies, mosquitos?, etc..) ON the dogs and cats for fleas, inside the dog pen for pests and flies, and offer it free choice in large dishes for the poultry to dust in.

Back
Top Bottom