Day old chick not standing

NewRIRMom

Chirping
14 Years
Jul 16, 2009
I had 2 RIR ? eggs hatch yesterday. One of the eggs was small and took a long time to hatch (about 9 hours). The chick is not standing and keeps turning over on her back. She is alert and noisy. Should I be worried???? I have been giving them drops of water. The other chick from the larger egg is standing tall and drinking water and walking well. Thanks for any info.

I hatched turkey poults last week and I had two that just could not stand up, they were on their sides, otherwise alert.

I read somewhere on BYC to put them in a coffee mug, which I did, and low and behold by the end of the day the better one could stand and by the next day the one who was worse (I really thought I was going to have to cull) was FINE!!!! It was nothing short of miraculous.

I hope it works for you
fl.gif

Keep us posted.

I seen someone use duct tape as little braces for leg & feet problems. (i.e. crooked toes, funny knees)
They just cut up little strips and kept them bandaged/braced for a few days, then everything was fine. Hope all goes well!

Have a D.O Belgian D' Uccle and thanks to your helpful hint of putting him in a coffee cup he is now able to stand!!!! It was almost instant
smile.png
Before this break through he was sitting on his tail with both feet stretched out in front of him, rolling around when he tried to stand or walk. He would use his toes and beak to pull himself along. We tried a hobble arrangement made of a band-aid cut length wise, wrapping each sticky part around a leg with the pad in the middle. This would have worked if he had the splits, but I guess that wasn't his problem..... Thank so much for posting on this site
smile.png

Pierre -
welcome-byc.gif
!!

I am glad this tip helped you, I know I was grateful when I read it too! I tried to come up with something on my own (hammock/sling made from a t-shirt, chick walker, etc) but they were all so complicated and the coffe mug was so simple and so effective!

NewRIRmom - how did your little chick do? I hope everything turned out ok??

Back
Top Bottom