How often do you clean out your run and coop?

kuntrychick

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Alabama
I know some of you have sand in the run and it may be easier to clean, but mine is dirt, a few rocks here and there and some straw strewn about.

What is the easiest way to clean this out? A rake? But will it get up all the itty bitty pieces of stuff? Will I have to use a shovel to dig down farther and just try to completely take out the top layer with all the poo and stuff on it?

As for the coop, I know many of you use the Deep Litter Method. But what about cleaning the roost and nestboxes and any shelves or anything?

Also, how do you clean the roost, nestboxes, etc.? My nestboxes are made of old barn wood..bleach solution?

What about poop board? I have a poop board that is made of old barn wood (same as nest boxes). Even after scraping the poop off of it, there's still dried poop stains on it. It isn't removable (now I know why many of you make removable poop boards...lol). How can I clean this?

I sweep and MOP the coop every week.

I scrape poo of the roosts and boards and MOP those with HOT water, dishwashing liquid and chlorox.

I clean out my coop once a week. We use grass clippings in the nesting boxes and the floor. Everything gets raked out and then I use a bleach and water spray and lightly spray the hole thing down.

When I made my nesting boxes, I screwed everything together except the lip. The was attached with a nail on each side. This allows me to turn the lip so I can clean everything out of the nesting box. Works great!

So far no flies, mites, or anything
fl.gif

The shavings in the coop are stirred up weekly and DE added as needed. April and October change the shavings and good clean up. Nesting boxes are cleaned up as needed. The run I'm still researching the best way to clean up, schedule, and possible run material to put in, dirt as of now.

We have a small 4 x 4 coop.
Our bedding is sand, DE, and pine shavings.
I clean the bedding out every two weeks; using a small garden rake, then a hand broom. It all sweeps out pretty easily. I scrape the roost area clean, and use small gardening tools to clean out the nest boxes.

I haven't used spray bleach yet. Good idea.

I'm a clean freak... I clean the coop and run in 2 coops daily and remove all poo. I change out and pressure wash everything every 3-4 months, clean waterers daily.

as for a compacted dirt run, I would rototill it. throw some pelleted dolomite lime on it and till it in. It really freshens a run. I'm one of those sand run ppl but before that dirt and sand. I would till it when it got kinda nasty. but I do pick up 80% of poo daily...

Connie

I clean out my coop and run once a week. I have the playhouse coop and I just lift up the top and sweep all the pine shavings onto my dust pan, put it in my bucket, and then put in compost bin. The run is dirt with some pine shavings. I lightly rake this and also put in compost bin. So far, no flies, no smell, no problems. But then it might be because I only have 5 pullets.

Back
Top Bottom