GAINESVILLE, FL~Seminar/show/sale~UPDATE 10/15/09-Map added pg. 1

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
Plans are coming together wonderfully for our first annual BYC show and sale on October 17th. We have permission from Nifty to use the BYC name for the show!!
big_smile.png
There will be a poultry seminar in the morning from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm (approx) and then we will break for lunch and the show will begin at 1:00 pm. You won't want to miss the seminar. It will be everything you ever wanted to know about showing poultry. The location is at the extension office here in Gainesville and we will be providing that address at a later date.

All birds will be tested by the NPIP representative unless you are already NPIP certified. Please provide your NPIP number on the registration form. The tester, Sherrie Vickers, will be here from 8:00 am until around 10:00 am, so all entries will need to be on the grounds no later than 10:00 am.

This will not be a sanctioned show. (We'll look into that for next year). It is open to all purebred birds, bantam or LF. Show cages will NOT be provided for this show, so bring your birds in the cages in which the judge will see them. It doesn't have to be fancy...she's more interested in the quality of your birds! There will be tables provided to put the cages on.

Also, it is recommended that you bathe your birds, just like you would for a regular show, prior to bringing them. There are some good links here on BYC for how to bathe a chicken. It's time to start getting them ready...keep their feathers in good shape, don't let their feathers get sunburned, absolutely NO lice/mites, etc... At this time, we are not limiting the number of entries. That could change, but we will let you know ASAP if it's necessary.

Be sure to bring your own waterers and feed.

Please PM me with your email address so we can send you the entry form. You will be able to fill it out on your computer, save it and email it to Dixiechick. She will be taking all registration forms and questions.

Questions...don't hesitate to PM or email me. Can't wait to see all of you there!!

UPDATE 8/22/2009:

The entry fee is $2.00 per bird, but if that is a problem for you, let us know. Whatever we collect will go to Cindy for her time, effort and gas. She drives up from Arcadia which is quite far away.

We will be asking you to bring your own cages...any kind, any style...she doesn't care. However, you'll have to have a separate cage for each entry. We will have tables to put your cages on. All the classes will be the same as a sanctioned show. They are:

Bantam Large Fowl Production (commercial)
Single comb clean leg American
Rose comb clean leg Continental
Any other clean leg English
Feather leg Mediterranean
Game Asiatic
Old English All other standard breeds
Game Modern

Of course, under each Class their will be the various varieties, sex, etc. Be sure to fill out your registration and get it back to Dixiechick at least a few days prior to the show/sale so we can have your space reserved for you.

As mentioned above, we won't have waterfowl or turkeys, etc. this time. However, if you want to bring yours for her to evaluate, you're more than welcome to do that.

So start getting those birds in condition...we've got less than 8 weeks!!

Don't hesitate to ask questions...

UPDATE 8/23/09

On page 5 is the entry form and a flier. To print it out, right click and click print
smile.png

UPDATE 10/6/2009

FANTASTIC NEWS!!! Cindy Kinard is going to be able to judge our "show" after all!!! This is just the best news we've had for weeks!!! Cindy has many years experience in poultry and working with 4-H'ers and I know that you will learn so much from her. Do remember that she is not an APA/ABA certified judge and does not represent herself as one. So PLEASE send us your entries as soon as possible. We'll need a few days to get the classes sorted out. IT"S NOT TOO LATE....!!
big_smile.png

The seminar, done by Cindy Kinard and presented by the Alachua Co. extension service begins at 9:00 am. WE are anticipating a big crowd for the seminar and know that you will not be disappointed!! Here is the flyer...

9079_flyer.jpg

We do have 2 vendors who will be there. First is thepamperedpullet.com who will be bringing poultry equipment and the other is Earth Pets from Gainesville. They are now selling organic chicken feed and will have some on hand for purchase. If you know of any other vendors who are interested, please have them contact me.

Thanks!! Hope to see everyone there...it will be a great time and I know there are folks bringing some nice birds to sell.

UPDATE 10/7/09

We will be providing hotdog and hamburger lunches with baked beans, chips and a drink for $5.00. This will enable us to move from the seminar to the show and sale with just a short break for eating and folks won't have to leave the grounds to go find food for lunch. Please feel free to bring your own lunch if you'd like.

If you are bringing birds to sell, it would be great if you could make a sign with your BYC name and put it up once you get your birds settled. It's so much fun to put BYC names with faces and real names. We'll have name tags for everyone as well.

Again...please feel free to email or PM me, dixiechick or sunshinesilkies if you have any questions, suggestions or comments.
big_smile.png

UPDATE 10/14/09

CHANGE OF PLACE FOR SHOW
Due to the overwhelming response and plans to participate/visit the 2009 BYC Chicken Show/Swap/Sale, we have changed the place for the show/swap/sale in order to accommodate everyone's needs. The new location will be at the Highland Missionary Baptist Church at 2620 N. E. 15th Street, Gainesville, Florida 32614 (which is less than a 5-min drive from the seminar.) The seminar will remain at the Alachua County Extension Office from 9am-1pm. However, the swap/sale portion at the church will begin at 9:30 and will continue throughout the morning/early afternoon. This will assist those of you traveling from such a far distance. The "show" portion will begin promptly after the seminar. We will continue to have vendors and have a food booth located at the church.

We encourage you to attend the seminar, if at all possible. There is so much valuable information to learn from Cindy Kinard.

Check back to page 1 (this post) for a map of both locations. We will also have maps at both locations.

As always, please feel free to email or PM me, dixiechick or sunshinesilkies if you have any questions, suggestions or comments.
smile.png

UPDATE 10/15/2009

Below is a map of the locations of both the seminar and the sale/show. The map would not include the I-75 interchange, so that has been added to the left
big_smile.png
It is HIGHLY recommended that you use this exit if coming from I-75 as it is University of Florida homecoming and the south side of Gainesville will have heavy traffic. 39th Ave (SR 222) shouldn't be too bad
smile.png
If you are going to the seminar but also have birds to show/sale and don't want to leave them in your vehicle...bring them to the show/sale location and drop them off. There will be several of us there to tend to them. We will be there by 8:00 am. That will give you plenty of time to get them settled and be at the seminar by 9:00. As mentioned previously, it's only a 5 minute drive from the church to the extension office. Questions????
big_smile.png

9079_byc_show_map_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great! I am going to advertise this one to all the 4-H clubs in the surrounding area. Also, I'll put flyers up in all the feed and tack stores and try to get a free radio spot as well.

I think all the swaps have merit...we were just trying to have this one have stock that could help meet the needs of folks looking for possible show birds. I'm going to contact some people from the Florida shows and let them know that we are having it. Some of them were selling great looking birds at the shows last fall. Perhaps they would be willing to bring some of their sales stock to this sale.

Heck, it would be fun to have a small show as well....hmmmm...that's a thought. It wouldn't be a sanctioned show but would give the kids and some others some show experience. I'll look into that. I know someone who is an APA judge that may be willing to judge it. And the NPIP agent here would like to be there to discuss NPIP testing.

Oh, this could be a LOT of fun...

Anymore ideas from anyone??

Judy,
The end of September sounds good to me. I think it is a great idea. And you are right, about kids needing GOOD QUALITY birds for 4H. Shared Acres is hosting one the last of August and that would give plenty of space in between...I think it is great to get more people involved and introduce them to BYC as well. I usually bring my PQ/ silkies but if I knew that someone was interested in BQ/SQ birds, I would be willing to bring those also. I also have chicks from my OE varities that would be great birds for kids to raise and show. Just let me know and I'm in!!!
tongue.png

Vickie

Last edited:
I see a swap being posted for the first week on October in White Springs....are we getting too overloaded on these swaps/sales?

Quote:
You know, I thought about that, but White Springs is a pretty good distance for folks from Gainesville southward.

Also, we are wanting this to be just a bit different in that we are hoping folks will bring their purebred birds with an emphasis on providing quality...possible show quality...stock for those wishing to become involved in poultry shows.

I'm also gauging interest in a small "show" that day...understanding that there isn't much time between now and the end of September to get them ready. I'm going to call an APA judge that works with 4-H'ers quite a bit. She is an excellent instructor and I think that would be valuable to all of us. Don't know if she would be available, but perhaps could recommend someone if not.

Thoughts, everyone??

Update...we have tentatively changed the date of the show/sale to October 17th. By doing this, we will definitely be able to have a small show and combine it with our sale/swap. There will be an APA certified judge who is wonderful in explaining about showing and about the standard of perfection for each breed.

If you've always wanted to show your birds but didn't know how or what to do...this is the show to get you started!!

More details to follow...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom