The Duck Coop & Complex has begun! *8-28 update Pg 2*

Cetawin

Rest in Peace 1963-2021
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
I found a great 6' W x 8' L shed on craigslist for $400 and I got some friends and a flatbed trailer and we went to pick it up. The shed was less than 3 months old and not used. It was built sturdy!

So, we placed it where I wanted it and put it on blocks. Then it was left to settle for a few weeks. I then leveled it and began painting. I am now in the process of designing their quarters, the food storage area and where to place windows and such. I made 2 great finds at glass shops and got two windows for about $ 25.

So...here is the progress so far...

The shed:

Before.jpg

Inside:

Interior.jpg

the totally awesome door lock:

doorlockclose.jpg

As the shingles were green in color, I decided to trim the windows and such in Hunter Green and paint the interior a lighter shade of hunter green...so this is how my paint mixing turned out:

Paintinterior2.jpg

Paintinterior.jpg

I plan on using the first three feet for storing their food and their bale of straw for bedding. I am in the process of building a 'medicine cabinet' inside of the door to hold things like DE, vitamins, blu-kote, antibiotic ointment and so forth for both the ducks and the chickens. That will leave them a 5' x 6' area inside. My 2 - trios and 1 pair of breeders will be inside this duck house. My three bachelor drakes will be in a smaller coop area. So, for 8 ducks that will give them 30 sqft of inside space which is above the 3 sq ft per duck recommended.

Their run will come off the left side of the house about 24' and then go back into the trees for about 30' back across to the right about 30' and back up to the house for about 25'. So they will have the thick tree cover to hide in in the event of any hawks wandering around that the local crows do not chase off. Plus, they will get plenty of shade and have their pools and such in various areas.

Here is a shot of the left side run area:

runareabefore.jpg

I will continue to update the thread. This is the gang I am housing, they were 14 weeks old yesterday.

HPIM5372.jpg

Last edited:
Hey they deserve it. One of my girls gave me my first egg a couple of days ago....at just over 13 weeks old. WOW. Plus, I love em and I want em safe!

Updated with today's progress...

Both windows are installed and ventilation has been cut out. One window is 18" x 38" and the other is 28 x 52. Both will be covered with hardwire cloth after I am finished installed 1 x 4 trim inside the framing.

They are being painted and trimmed in hunter green against pastel green walls.

Small window which opens into the run and to the East

Smwindow.jpg

smwindowpainted.jpg

from the outside without the trim work done

smwindowoutside.jpg

The Large window

Lgwindow.jpg

Lgwindowpainted.jpg

from the outside without the trim work done

Lgwindowoutside.jpg

I began building the cabinet in the door...the shelves made of 2 x 4's are in place and painted. There is going to be a plywood hinged door covered the shelves so that I can store things in it such as my blu-kote, first aid supplies, etc etc.

Cabinet.jpg

I am going to finish up painted all the trim pieces today and tomorrow, duck doors will be cut and the hardwire cloth and trim put up.

Thank you for the compliments all.

I got slowed down yesterday by really weird high winds....so I did not get all the trim painted but will work on that today. The ducks have been watching me from their tractor and are fascinated with what is going on. Nosey things.

Back
Top Bottom