*Sigh* Still No Eggs--Coturnix

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
OK...so we're on week 10 here. Still no eggs from my Coturnix.

We've removed 2 more males and now have 11 females to 3 males. I'm not concerned with fertile eggs right now, just wanting the females to be relaxed so they'll start laying.

They're on 21% grower for chickens.

Here is a photo of the setup they're in:
PoultryShows061.jpg

Minus the two that were delicious males....

Ha Ha! They Know You're Waiting.......

And They Are Going To Lay When They're Darn Good And Ready-- And Not 1 Day Sooner! Lol.

Been There, Done That--- Just Remember The Old Addage About How A Watched Pot Never Boils...

The Set Up Looks Good. As A Mere Suggestion I Feed Game Bird Starter Throughout Their Lifetime And It Seems To Help Increase Egg Production. Also Once Each Week They Get The Water Soluable Vitamins And Minerals In The Water Font, As Well As Every Other Day They Get Vit C Added To Their Water As Well---- Helps With Egg Production During Times Of Heat Stress (i'm In Bug Infested Humid Hot Florida...) I Also Give Them Chick Grit Periodically And Crushed Oyster Shell About Every Other Week --- This Combo Seems To Work Best For Us Here...... May Not Make A Difference Where You Are, But Dont Be Affraid To Experiment A Lil Bit.

We've Had Batches Lay As Early As 6 Weeks Old And Others That Seemed To Take Forever! Easily 12 Wks, Just Never Can Tell...

I Have A 2yr Old That Lays 2 Eggs A Day At Least 2-3 Per Week And 1 Egg A Day Most Other Days, I Have 1 That Throws A Shell-less Egg (lemme Tell Ya These Are Weird! Like A Soft Leathery Ping Pong Ball Or A Reptile Egg...) About Once Every 3 Months And Lays Nearly Daily--- Almost All Are Normal And Her Hatch Rate Is Almost 96% Heck I Even Have The "dino-hen" Shes Comin On 7 Yrs Old And Her White Roo Is 5 And They're Still At It, Tho Her Numbers Are Nowhere Near The Average Hens She Still Keep Surprising Us By Throwin Out Eggs In Her Lil Coturnix Nursing Home! They Are As Much An Individual As You Or I Are.

They'll Lay When They're Ready--- That My Friend Is 1 Of The Few Guarentees In Life
smile.png

Sending Eggs Vibes Your Way! Good Luck And Enjoy!

I was about to give up one mine also but they started last week.
The young birds (If they went like the others would not be laying for 6 more weeks) started laying 3 days ago.

Big difference! Now these two batches were from 2 different breeders. Maybe???when they lay is a trait that is bred for in some? Younger birds were hatched 7/11. The older ones are 6 weeks older.

I'm thinking it might be because the days are getting shorter and they have stopped laying (chickens for example tend not to lay when the days are short, due to little light). I'm not sure though
hu.gif

Quote:
I've personally never given mine any vitamins.....I feed them 22% gamebird starter/grower and give them a cuttlebone about once a week to keep up their calcium. It looks like sawdust falling when they devour it.

Back
Top Bottom