I just told my daughter to steal a sick rooster!!! Pic Heavy!!!

jeaucamom

Songster
12 Years
Oct 1, 2007
Ophir, CA
My daughter was at the feed store to buy feed for the chickens but they were closed. They have outdoor cages by the front door and there was a dominique rooster who was on it's side with an almost completly pasty butt and not moving even when she poked it. Then it pooped yellow nasty smelling poop. So she calls me and wants to bring it home!!!! And I like an idiot said yes, go ahead and steal a half dead rooster!! Like I know what to do for it????????

So my plan is warmth, Polyvisol, electrolytes, Sulmet, Tetracycline, DE. Any other suggestions???? It will obviously be in the garage under a brooder lamp away from the other chickens. Please tell me what else to do!!!

Edited to add, she did leave a note with name and number, and I have called the number of the feed store and no one answers and there is no alternative number.

Last edited:
Did you leave a message on the answering machine? I think under the circumstances, they will understand and appreciate your efforts. I wonder if they come and check on them on the weekends. Shoot, my DH keeps telling me to leave our chickens alone. I'm always out there. I can't tell you anything to do, I'd be posting as well, if it were me, but I have to say it's in better hands now than it was a little bit ago. Good luck

First of all, Jessica needs a lesson on the birds and the bees. It is not a roo it is a hen. "Tiramisu" (Yes, she is already named
tongue.png
) is very dirty, oily, feathers are disgracefull and she has a month's worth of poop on her but. I have to say though, she is the most placcid chicken I have EVER seen. Gave her a bath and just could not get all the poop off her, it was just way too crusted so had to snip some booty feathers.

DSCN1388.jpg

DSCN1385.jpg

DSCN1380-1.jpg

DSCN1387.jpg

DSCN1386.jpg

DSCN1389.jpg

Can anyone tell me how old she is? I suspect she is old as her legs are pale yellow and her beak is white. She is banded, so I wonder is she was a layer and she quit so they got rid of her. And do the black polkadots on her legs mean anything ie sickness wise? She is one docile bird.

Sounds to me like you are doing what you can as far as notifying the feed store. Just call them on Monday morning to make sure they got the note. As far as the illness I have no more clue what to do than you, maybe someone else will.

Good luck!

Sounds like you're doing what you can. I love my Dominiques, they're the friendliest birds. if you can't keep her I'll take her. They often have dark shadows on the legs, I'm guessing that explains the weird coloration, it came out in dots instead of a shadow. She seems sweet natured and she'll probably bounce back with some warmth and food.

Its a good thing you found her when you did, now she might have a fighting chance.

She has a single comb, which means she's either a marans or a barred rock.
Dominiques have rose combs.

I have to ask - the cages by the front door - are they their 'for sale' animals, or are they cages where people would just...... let's say..... dump off a really sick hen while nobody was looking?

Either way, your daughter rescued a very sick and ailing animal and showed it compassion and care. That is never a wrong thing! AND she called you first before bringing it home - what a great kid she is!

Good for you for your rescue efforts - I hope she turns a corner and is back to health soon!

Oh, and definately not a dominique - the comb give her away - I'm betting a barred rock, too!

Back
Top Bottom