Got two chickens, and one ate her egg, not sure what to do

jerseygirl1

Crowing
13 Years
14 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Orange County, NY
OK, I got a pair of Belgium Antwerps hen and roo yesterday. I put them in an extra large dog crate away from the ret of the flock - this morning he crowed a bit, and she had laid an egg. I couldn't get into the crate to grab the egg since it was so far back - when I got home from work and went to retrieve it, one of them had eaten it. I doubt anything had gotten in there, since my other hens had laid a few eggs and they were still there. If I grab the eggs as soon as I see them, will she stop, or since she's done it, will she continue?
Thanks

You might try two things. Try and gather all eggs as soon as possible. Putting a fake realistic egg in the nest. I had an egg eater and when I put three wooden eggs in the nest and (whoever she was) tried to eat them she got a big fat surprise. It has taken about a month, but nobody's eating eggs lately.

I moved the eggs around everyday and sometimes put them on the roost (where I would find an occasional broken egg).

Hi,

It could be possible the egg broke by accident and then one ate it. But this may not necessarily continue, it all depends on the individual chickens. I had this happen but no one ever ate an egg again. Good luck!
smile.png
Genie

I got this idea from someone else on BYC and it worked for my EE egg eater - I filled an egg with liquid soap and melted wax across the top to seal it. It took two experiences with soap-eggs, but I haven't had another problem with her!

Back
Top Bottom