I think my chicken is egg bound

litl red hen

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 25, 2008
Connecticut
We have a White Rock, 1.5 years old. 3 days ago I noticed her walking around, carefully and her tail is down. She seems a bit slow but still getting around. She is sleeping on the floor of the coop. Normally she sleeps in a box or on a roosting pole. I picked her up tonight to check her bottom because her feathers seemed very dirty with poo. In checking her vent, it feels like she has an egg stuck!! Is this possible? The vent looks like a slit, instead of round puckery, and it is bulgy underneath the vent. If she is egg bound, can I help her? Please help and I thank you in advance. She is 1 of 7 birds. The others are all fine.

Last edited:
If she is eggbound give her a warm bath. Just let her sit in the warm water. Massage her abdomen gently if possible. Sometimes this helps the hens muscles to relax and she can pass the egg. Dry her well and keep her in the house for a day or 2 so she can rest and hopefully pass the egg. If she is inside you can also monitor her food and water intake.

Another thing to try is to apply some KY jelly to her vent and inside her vent. Do this gently with a gloved finger. You might want to do this before the bath. Mineral oil will also work.

On the top right of this page is a search box. Type in egg bound and multiple posts will come up dealing with this situation.

If you want to take her to a vet bring her to Kensington Bird and Animal Hospital in Berlin CT. When I lived there I would bring my exotic birds there for physicals etc. The doctors are wonderful. We live in NH now and I would drive the two hours to them if one of my birds had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom