Do chickens really like windows??

Qi Chicken

Songster
10 Years
Jul 3, 2009
We are beginning the building portion of the coop now and I recently read in a post (by speckled hen?) that chickens love to look out the window. We were going to have two 3 ft long by one foot tall windows in the storage part of the coop but now wondering if they might not like one of those at eye level to look out of. This is probably waaay overthinking here but if it would improve their mental health--
smile.png
How many inches off the ground is the eyeball of a standard chicken? Wyandotte, Orpington, Dorking etc? As you can probably tell---I'm new to this!

Mine love the windows in their coop as well....i got a little crazy and made them curtins as too!

My little bantam Delaware rooster roosted on the window sill in the coop, until he got too big for it. He fought for it every night.

In my other coop the roost is right in front of the window, which I leave open in the warm weather and close in the cold weather. Every night when I close them in, they are sitting on the roost looking out the window at me.

In really cold weather I have to insulate the window with styrofoam.

Last edited:
Unless they are eating or drinking, they are most always at the window opening. They sleep at it also. I am glad I have most of my walls as openings. Originally for optimal ventilation, but now I appreciate how much they love it.

Last edited:
Hmmm! Sounds like they would rather sleep/sit in front of a window rather than stand and look out of it. I thought I read that there shouldn't be a window where they would get a cross breeze while roosting. Do the windows that they sleep in front of open? Any problems with this? It sounds like I should scrap the long narrow window near the floor (that wouldn't open) and get them one behind their roosts. Agree with this? I really wasn't looking forward to asking the builder for a window one foot off the floor so they could look out anyway....I am not sure that he is a chicken lover. But he just drove up the drive and I guess that's the main thing......!

Back
Top Bottom