new hens are gonna need a LOT of TLC... UPDATE: LICE!

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Well, my quest to get six new girls today didn't exactly go as planned... wanted chocolate egg-layers as well as easter eggers but came home with the following because the breeder didn't have many pullets ready to go (seems this is a bad time of year to get hens...).

If I hadn't driven 1.5 hours to get to this place, I would have turned around but felt sorry for the birds... so much so, that I paid $20 for EACH of the four I brought home with me.

I must be MAD.

However DH is glad I got them, he thinks they just need TLC, some good food, fresh air, less stress and in a few weeks they will look much better. I sure hope so. I fell in love and felt the need to "save" them, what the heck??

First, here is Faith, an EE. She's apparently about 12 weeks old but seems younger than that. Maybe it's because she is 60% NAKED - she's tiny, hunched over from cold, feathers almost all plucked out except for a few on her wings. Poor thing, could she be any uglier? She looks so sad!
hmm.png
The minute I put her in her new pen she found the food bowl, sat in it and ate for about 10 minutes, then drank until she almost passed out. Then did it again. BTW she might be a boy, what do I know? There are no feathers to judge by!

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0039-1.jpg

Next is Sunshine, also an EE. Very sweet and cuddly, gentle and calm - I clicked with her instantly. Also missing quite a bit of feathers but not so bad, however both her eyes were so crusty! Gross! I picked a bit of the crud off but will have to use a warm wet washcloth to wipe the rest away. She's in good health, also needs plenty of good food, fresh air and sunshine. She's apparently about 14 weeks old? Seems younger.

DSC_0042-1.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0045-1.jpg

The two together, Sunshine on the left and my little chemo girl Faith to the right. I'm hoping they will blossom...
fl.gif

DSC_0034.jpg

Then I got two blue Cochins, also about 14 weeks old (or so I hope). They're supposed to be pullets...

Here is Violet, also missing neck feathers, some eye crusties, a bit jittery and on the smallish side:

DSC_0046-2.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

Then there is Kiwi, bigger and more docile than Violet, also had a bit of crusties around her eyes (is this even a female?)

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

...in case you wondered, I did check out the whole place and the birds were big and healthy, had lots of space, water, food, and from the available pullets for sale I really did pick the sad looking ones. If I had had more cash on me, I would have brought home two big shiny wyandottes... but I just felt like these four needed me.

Don't laugh, I know they're ugly and I know I overpaid.

But they have a forever home now, hopefully by next spring I'll get some decent eggs to add to my basket and who knows, they just might turn out to be quite pretty with lots of love, the best food possible and a real home.

Now... they have starter pellets and water for tonight, hope they don't freeze as it's going way below freezing point.

Starting tomorrow morning, they will get a small bowl of warm oatmeal with DE and a scrambled egg for protein.

Suggestions welcome!!

love.gif

Last edited:
Wow - I couldn't have resisted them either! They certainly went to a very good home.
My girls love a mix of warm oatmeal (not hot obviously) with a little yogurt and applesauce mixed in on cold winter mornings.

Post updated pics too!

Last edited:
Takes a very special person to pick the under-dogs....but I've always had a big heart for the sad ones. I can see the love and kindness in all your birds eyes. They will probably be your best chickens ever! My chicks get hard boiled eggs mashed w/poly-vi-sol, oatmeal/grits mixed and blueberries every morning for breakfast. I have also given warm whole grain brown rice with warmed frozen vegestables. I had purchased 3 hens approx 2 months that needed lots of TLC and now they are really looking nice. Best of luck with your girls!

Edited: BTW...I noticed the suet feeder hanging, can you feed chickens the suet you buy for wild birds? Sorry, if that seems like a dumb question but I have only owned chickens since this year!

Last edited:
Awwwww! I would have had a difficult time resisting these lovely girls! Good luck with the TLC.....I'm sure they will blossom. Try a little flax seed in the oatmeal - looks like bugs! Enjoy your girls. I think they are lovely.
smile.png

Might get some sevin dust and dust real good, they might have mites( all the missing feathers), if not it wont hurt them to be dusted anyways

bow.gif
Thank you for being such a kind person (both you and your DH)!!! I'm so happy those little girls (thinking positive) will have a loving home, and hope that they will reward you with many lovely eggs in the future.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom