How to bathe a chicken?

Country Heart

City Girl With A
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
San Jose, California
Looking for a bit of advice...I have had a roo in the "hospital" for two plus weeks now and his back end is looking (and smelling) in need of attention. This would be my first attempt at bathing a chicken - looking for advice from those who have been there and lived to tell about it. Thanks!

when i bathe mine i usually get medium soapy water and i wash them lifting up the feathers carefully though cause i dont want them to get hurt and the end is what my girls always dirty up i just have there head and shoulders between my side and my arm like carrying books and i wash back there its not really hard to do and i just rinse them off with the sink sprayer thing so it gets to the skin and i blow them dry and thats it.

I suggest getting some young kids and a video camera...tell them to bathe the chicken and nothing else. They will figure something out and you will have a blast recording it and possibly be able to sell it! At least we would enjoy watching it

Quote:
lau.gif
Ok. I am totally doing that with the kids this summer!!!

I have bathed a chicken a couple of times now. She was attacked by a dog so first bath was to get the dried blood off of her and second bath was to get the stinkin poo off of her! I did not have to much trouble though my wife helped me. First you should get the water as warm as you can stand it to have your hands in it. I kept a firm grip on the chicken until she was aclamated to the water. You need to always hold onto the chicken. I did this by keeping my hand underneath her. I then just swished her around in the tub, I did not need to use any soap, just the warm water alone was enough. I did rub any of the "junk" that was on her feathers gently between my fingers. The chicken will relax alot in the warm water so you must also make sure that her head does not fall into the water. This happened to me on the second bath fortunately I was able to catch her before she effixiated on any water. Make sure you have a dry towel to wrap her up in when you take her out and dry her off. Also they love to be dried with a blow dryer. Be sure not to hold it too close or on any one spot too long for this could burn her skin. Just make sure she is dry before you return her to an area that may have a draft!

Is it like bathing a cat? Something about waiting till they are checking out the water swirling in the toilet bowl, shoving em in, slamming the lid and flushing?
hide.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the link - I did see that one when I was researching the topic. It actually helped me get up the courage to do it.

My roo seemed to actually enjoy the overall experience. He was very patient with me. Not something I would want to do every day, but overall was a very smooth process.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom