Help - vent leaking clear liquid.

Gtown Farmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Hello folks. When my hens went to roost tonight, I noticed one of my 7 month old pullets was hanging around a nest. I went back 15 minutes later and she was in the nest. I noticed a clear liquid leaking from her vent. I lifted her tail and found lots of dropping on her inner tail feathers. She's acting a little hunched too. I brought her in the house for tonight to watch her.

Any clues on what can be happening? My first hunch was a broken egg insied her.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
I think that one of my girls is also experiencing a broken egg inside her. I also brought her in the house and from multiple sources read that soaking in warm water is supposed to help relax the muscles, and then help pass the egg. I tried the soak, felt inside the vent for an egg (I couldn't tell), and so far, no luck here, but she's eating and drinking a little bit again, so I'm taking that as a good sign. Good luck, and please post what happens with your bird and if you find anything that is supposed to be helpful.

Warm Bath, gentle massage , extra heat, Electrolytes in water, add oil in and around the vent.

mine passed a Huge 3.3 ounce double Yoker!

Last edited:
Well folks, once again you've helped me avert a chicken emergency. As suggested, I gave her a warm bath for about 30 minutes and massaged her abdomen from front to back, as well as her vent (she fell asleep after 2 minutes in the bath). After the bath, I put vaseline around and in her vent, feeling for any obstructions. I wrapped her in two towels for about 30 minutes and kept her on my lap. She slept the whole time.! In a spare bedroom, I created a "nest" of towels for her to sleep in with some water and food. This morning there was a broken, jelly-like egg in the nest and she was just as active as ever. I gave her a probiotic mash of yogurt, vits. and electrolytes and her layer mash. She ate it up.

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate your help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom