Need irish potato recipe without coconut!

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
I know it isn't the traditional time of year for most people but I remember as a kid my grandmother making Irish Potato candy for Christmas. Now however when I buy these candies they are not at all the same.

The ones my grandmother made HAD potato in them and NO COCONUT.

Unfortunately no one in the family can remember the recipe except we all agree there were potatoes and there was not coconut.

I know this is the greatest store of knowledge in the country so I figure you must be able to help!!!
big_smile.png

Not this time MissPrissy! But thank you so much!!

The candy that is listed there is an Amish potato candy with peanut butter. I went through about dozen web sites first before turning to you all.

The candy is the kind you usually buy around St Patty's day that look like tiny potatoes. When I was a kid they did more than just LOOK like potatoes, they had potato in them and no coconut. And certainly no peanut butter.

roll.png

Another day when I wish like the dickens my mother was still alive to pass these things on.
hit.gif
Ladies, write down your recipes!!! You may not have as long to get around to it as you think.

Last edited:
This one only uses coconut for decoration on the outside. You don't have to do that step.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pioneer-potato-candy/detail.aspx

Most of the other ones you just leave the coconut out.

Because the recipe says add coconut doesn't mean you have to.

Your mother may have left out certain ingredients in her recipe which made it her own. You won't know until you try it.

These are balls but you can make them gnocci shaped and you don't have to dip them in chocolate or roll them in coconut.

Back
Top Bottom