Cold Weather *****WARNING****** please Read

Omran

Crowing
Jul 26, 2008
Bagdad KY
Hello Dear Friend, First Happy holiday for all of you and Merry Christmas.

In this Thread I would like to remind myself first and all of you of the Actions we take in cold weather.
I know that all of us love our chickens and we will try our best to protect them from the cold weather, so I decided to list what I know and I would like to hear from all of you about things we should watch when we winterize the coop.

1- Pay attention to all heat Lamps, Make sure they are installed in a safe area and make sure you got GTF in your outlets.
2- make sure that you don't have straw or hay next to electric outlets.
3- make sure that all cords are clean of cuts and they are designed to carry the load
4- use only extantion cord which are build for outside use only.
5- make sure that the cords are away from waterer ( water can cause a short)
6- Make sure that you have a braker for your coop.

That all what I can think of, please give me your input if you know more things can be added to this threat.

Thank you and God bless you all.

Omran

Check water at least a couple of times today, as the plastic waterers can crack easily and we'd all hate for our chooks to be without water.

Keep feed up on blocks if snow is melting so it stays dry.

Winter means double checking for drafts. What was summer breezes are now bitter gusts.

If you have real thin roosts, I suggest getting a 2x4 with the big side up so they can cover their feet.

ANNNNND if you have electrical cords have them up where the chickens can't peck them, and I always put electrical tape over where the cords join so they stay together and straw can't get between them, but that's just me.

Most important thing of all what I listed above is make sure you keep your coop safe from Fire.

Thank you guys for the good Ideas you all listed, keep it up please.

Hey, what does GTF stand for?

I would also add to watch out for heavy dust accumulation on your heat lamps too.

I thing GTF is the same as GFI - ground fault interupt...probably just a different name. an outlet that trips when there is a surge...kinda like a surge strip that is built in.

Quote:
Yes you are 100% correct.
thumbsup.gif

Be certain that the cover you put on your run for shade in the summer can handle the snow load.

Lots of ruined runs when it snows big....

Back
Top Bottom