Trouble breathing!!!

emzee

Songster
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
I have a 3 month old silkie chick that is having trouble breathing. It seems to be breathing out of its mouth instead of its nose and its whole body heaves when it takes a breath. What should I do???

You should get some VetRx for Poultry and dab some around its nostrils. It helps to open up the breathing passages, kind of like Vicks vapor rub. I think you can also add some to the water, too. I'm pretty sure that's what people have prescribed here on BYC, in cases like yours. I always keep some in my "pet pantry", btw.

I don't have any VetRX and probably the closest place that carries it is 30 minutes away. I'm afraid my chick might not last that long. Is there anything else I can do for it?

What kind of bedding are you using?

I would suggest removing any shavings or dusty material that may be irritating it's sinus membranes. Keep it on newspaper or paper towels until it is no longer in respiratory distress.

I was using straw bedding, but now I have it inside on a newspaper. I'm trying out the salt water to see if that works.

Quote:
Straw bedding can be very dusty, and it can be a great place for parasites/pests, such as mites and lice, to burrow in. So if I were you, I would try using something else such as pine shavings and/or newspaper. Possibly sawdust, but that can be messier than newspaper or pine shavings and the dust may irritate his/her.

Newspaper would work best for the least-dusty material.
I hope he/she turns out OK! Usually it's just that when they are having problems breathing, it's from irritation. Maybe your chick is allergic to straw? Some chickens can tolerate dust more than others.

Great news!!! My chick has revived and is breathing easier and even eating! I don't think she's is allergic to straw because she's 3 months old and has been on straw her whole life. Thanks for all the advice!

Quote:
wee.gif
ya.gif
That's great! I'm glad he/she is OK now.
smile.png
It must have been something related to the straw, because when you moved her to newspaper, she stated breathing fine, right? Maybe excessive dust irritated her.
But at least she's OK now.
thumbsup.gif

I'm so happy he/she is doing better!

Just so you know... Straw and hay can harbor fungus and bacteria easier than pine shavings, which can cause respirator distress. Make sure you change the bedding often, and continue to keep an eye on the little guy/girl.

I really hope he/she continues to improve!
smile.png

P.S. - Next time you're out in the area, you may want to pick up some VetRx to have on hand, in case of future respiratory emergencies.

Back
Top Bottom