Duck paralysis~ then die overnight?

bantymum

Songster
12 Years
Mar 3, 2007
4 hours from Sydney Australia
Hi
A lovely lady purchased 2 of my ducklings who are 2 months old, a drake and a duck.
She had them for 2 weeks and all was gong well until yesterday.
They lost movement in their legs and died at 11pm last night.
She just phoned me.
She took them to a vet who said it might be a bacterial thing.
I have sold 10 others from this hatching and all are going well as are my mum and dad duck and the rest of the ducklings.
The diet was fine, no old food apparently, I gave her a small bag from my bulk game starter bag to take with her when she bought them.
The children were very distressed and she is reluctant to buy any more until she finds out what may have killed them.
She has chooks in a separate run so they dont share.
Has anyone seen paralysis in a duck before???
Any clues.
Im phoning her back as soon as I can, she doesnt have the net and she is a single mum with a big heart.Please help
Thanks

oh no. too bad. i dont know.
sad.png

Sounds like moldy food or something that was toxic. Toxicity, botulism, or poison are the only common things I know of that kill that fast.

Did she put them in a used pen? Feed them something other than the food you gave them? Let them run around unsupervised?

I lost 3 chicks 2 years ago to botulism. You have a very limited amount of time to flush them out before they are to far gone to help.

Matt
Morganton, NC

Yes, thankyou,
We havent had Mareks around this state for about 10 years or more.
She did take them to a vet and I feel he is probably a large animal vet as she is in a rural area.
They were in a new run for starters then she was going to let them out to go to the dam on her property.
I definatley suspect that they ate something they shouldnt have. perhaps her hubby gave them some scraps that shes not aware of or they got into some plants.
I will go out to her property when i get some petrol and have a look around.

I lost several ducklings in the past until I learned what I was doing wrong. Though it took more than overnight, they all got a type of paralysis and were "floppy". They would become increasingly spastic and disoriented and then die. At first I thought it was the feed. But, a friend from the board told me it was their water bowls.

Their drinking bowls were too short and they could not get their noses properly cleaned out. Ducklings are more susceptible to this than the older birds. From what I understand, the feed will get impacted in their noses and up in their sinuses. Whatever that does to them is not clear to me - whether it cuts off the air supply or cuts off the blood supply to the brain. But, whichever it is, it is fatal to the little duckies.

Once I fixed the problem, I haven't lost another duckling to this weird ailment. I haven't seen my friend post for a long time, or I would direct other questions to her.

Hope this helps.
DeAnna

Back
Top Bottom