Redcap or not?

mlmaxson

Chirping
11 Years
Dec 31, 2009
New Hampshire
I just purchased some new chickens to start my flock with. I was told that they were redcaps and between a year and a year a half old. I've had them now for almost two months and they haven't laid any eggs yet. I'm wondering if this is normal (because when I purchased them, I was told they were starting to lay quite well) and if they appear to be redcaps to all of you. I have an odd feeling that the person who I bought them from may have been telling me what I want to hear to sell them.

A little back-ground for the question about the egg laying. I have 4 hens, no roosters, they have an 8x8 coop with an outside run and are eating Purina Layena and I give them bread in the morning as a treat. Thanks for your input.

14564_640921900476_26516522_36044756_2926574_n.jpg

Thats not a Red Cap..
Can't see the body too well but I would say she is a Game hen if not a Game Cross..

Chris

I'm not familiar with redcaps but I have added laying hens to my flock before and they did stop for a while. As for the treats- bread is really of no nutritional value. You should try something like turnip greens (lots of calcium) or grapes.
wink.png

Absolutely not a Redcap. For one thing it appears to have a single comb & Redcaps are rose combed. Colour is way off as well.

AHAHAHAHA! Thanks for all your input! Go figure that I'd get stuck with gaming hens. My husband and I rescue pit-bulls, so it just seems fitting and ironic that I get gaming or gaming crosses. That would explain their lack of eggs and their orneriness.

If these ladies are from gaming stock or gaming crosses, would I expect to find eggs at some point? What about if I get some other hens because I was going to raise some chicks come spring time, but don't want to put them in the coop if they will be picked on. Thanks for your help and I hope that I gave some of you a good laugh.

The picture doesn't work for me for some reason, but with what the others have said game hens (especially american game) tend to be a little more on the flighty side, however, they can often co-habitate with heavy breeds without issues, will be prone to going broody, and make excellent mothers. Good luck!

Quote:
That would explain their lack of eggs and their orneriness

No. Most game hens are very productive.. My American Game hens out laid my wife's production breeds (sex-links, production reds).

If these ladies are from gaming stock or gaming crosses, would I expect to find eggs at some point?

Yes.

What about if I get some other hens because I was going to raise some chicks come spring time, but don't want to put them in the coop if they will be picked on

They should be fine together. mine run with other hen/breeds. (but they WILL be flock queen). Now she will get a little nasty if she hatches eggs and has chicks. If another hen, animal or a person gets to close to her chicks she protect her chick and attack. (The are not a lap chicken)
wink.png

But I think there one of the best chickens you can get...

I will all so say this IF she is a Game/Game Cross she will go broody a lot. She could have a nest hidden some where.

Chris​

Back
Top Bottom