What kind of temperment do Speckled Sussex's have?

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
What kind of temperment do Speckled Sussex's have? I'm bringing some in for some customers this spring, and I'm thinking about keeping one. I was just wondering what they are like.

I just wrote about ours in another post. We only have one left (a roo); he is sweet, polite, and friendly; never spars with the other roos, and they leave him alone. Gets along well with the hens and was very devoted to his before he lost them.

I have 4 SS hens and they are great. They are the most curious and friendly of all the hens in there. Last night, I left the coop door open to see if they would come out in the snow. I had to coax them with treats but the only ones who ventured out were the SS and my lone EE. I hope that helps.

Cool! I just won some SS hatching eggs on eBay, so it's great to know I'll be hatching some gentle, friendly birds!
smile.png

Oh, I'm excited now. I was telling DH I was ordering SS's for spring and he asked what's an SS. I showed him a picture and he thought they were very pretty. I'm hoping I can keep one and add it to the flock.
big_smile.png

They also lay an almost pink egg- at least one of mine does. Some of the breed charts say this too. I think only one or two of mine are doing this though, but they sure are pretty eggs sitting next to the brown ones

Wow, she's beautiful, but I can't trust you Cyn, I think all your birds are unnaturally beautiful, and I just get the plain janes of the chicken world
gig.gif

No, actually my girls are beautiful too, but they are hatchery birds. I think that my problem is that my Red Sexlinks are not nice birds. I like them, but they are picking at my other girls. My SLW's have bald backs and the EEer's have bloody vents.
he.gif

But yeah, I want one that looks like Nelda, and Suede, and and and.
wee.gif

Mine are sweet and gentle. Lovely girls who love to be picked up and carried around the yard. They sit on my feet when I sit on the porch. I just love them. Get some they are great.

Back
Top Bottom