Not open for further replies.

chickenmeadow

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Southern Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
Just started "Day 1" with some more eggs in the incubator yesterday for a hatch date of February 12th. They were put in on Jan. 22nd late in the evening, so day 1 is the 23rd. They are a "grab bag" of mostly some Bantam Blue Salmon Faverolles with some Bantam Cochins & Bantam Dominique/Faverolles crosses. How fun!

Winter is not over yet, with weather & less light hours in the day to create a few xtra challenges. Of course it was great to hear someone chime in once in a while to brag about their sunny days in another part of the country.

It was a lot of fun sharing with all of you on a Christmas hatch thread & then on the 'JANUARY HATCH-A-LONG come join in" thread. I heard some great questions & answers, saw many adorable chickies pictures, shared ideas & learned some things. It was (& still is, as Jan. is not over yet) a comfort to see others experiencing the same as I.

So, let's keep the "hatch party" going & "come join in!

Oh yeah just temp me why don'tcha!! My dh is gonna have a stroke if I keep hatching more chickens lol. I am on a wait list to buy some mottled d'uccles eggs but not sure when they will be ready yet. After the end of the month I will have an empty bater...oh that seems wierd now and really scary. I keep thinking about getting some silkie eggs.....

ETA: Make that 2 empty baters yikes
ep.gif

Last edited:
I put four serama eggs in on January 22nd, and one on January 23rd, so I'll hopefully have some babies sometime in mid-February!
big_smile.png
This will be my first real incubator hatch--January's hatch was more my broody's hatch than an incubator hatch. Hoping for good results!

I eventually want to hatch chickens other than seramas, but my spangled OEGB cockerel for my main flock is too young to fertilize anyone, and isn't even in with the main flock yet, so my miscellaneous hybrids will have to wait until he's older.
wink.png

Last edited:
Hey, I have a thread similar to this one, except mine is like a club. I'm not trying to steal traffic. I'm just trying to get people to join the club. But it's encouraged that people post here as well.

here is the link to the club:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=289165

p.s. I thought I beat you to the hatch-a-long thing. Always one step ahead ain't 'cha?
tongue2.gif

Last edited:
My first post! And first hatch also. I set 24 eggs in a homemade incubator Jan. 11 in the afternoon, so hatch day should be the 2nd?!! Groundhogs Day babies!! I got the eggs for free on craigslist from a very nice lady!
big_smile.png
some BCM, and then the rest I dont know yet! I figured I'd ask if/when they hatch so I'm not dissapointed if something didn't hatch! I know what she has.. just not what I got! Plus some are mixed, fine by me. Fingers crossed
fl.gif
for a BCM roo!!! Out of 24 set I have 17 developing and looking good! Dancing embryo's Yay! Hope most of those hatch! I've heard a lot of horror stories, but think I understand it well enough(DONT open the bator after lockdown!! Right! Got it!!)! Good luck to everyone and here's the eggs(hope I'm computor savvy enough to have done it right!)!! oh and another high note- the boyfriend says I can have as many chickens as I want! (he also buys the food, and builds the coop(s)!! and once we get a roo for our current ladies it shall be named Pollo de Brothel!! I know, twisted sense of humor. Chicken hatchin addict. I can see it already: me next year in chicken hatchers anonymous- Hi I'm Casey, and im addicted to baby chickities!!)

47583_22153_1324130471597_1480936472_839046_6478968_n.jpg

Quote:
Welcome to the February Hatch-A-Long!
frow.gif
I was part of the January Hatch-A-Long with my first ever hatch and as I sit here typing, my two EE babies from that hatch are cheeping angrily from the office! They are so spoiled! If anyone is in the house and they are awake they think we should be in there talking to them. So funny!

Anyway, I have eggs coming to put in the incubator. I will hopefully have everything here and in the incubator by this Friday. White, Mahogany, Salmon and Blue Salmon LF Faverolles, Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas, Silkies and Blue Jersey Giants. Hopefully, with my new (and much better) thermostat in my incubator and what I learned from my first hatch, I will have a much better hatch rate this time.

Thanks Sav the Favs for starting another hatch-a-long! The January one was both fun and educational.
Good luck to all those in this February Hatch-A-Long!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Quote:
Oooh, I can't wait til I have eggs that are worth swapping! That sounds like so much fun. Make sure to post pics when they hatch - I've never seen a frizzle baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom