Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
WHy do I never hear of these? A friend of mine with a small hatchery got some in, they are really cool looking so far. ow dothey compare to dark and white cornish (other than feather color)?

Last edited:
I used to have 2 white conish bantams, they were both roos, but very sweet. But I don't have them anymore. But I do still have a Dark conrish hen and she doesn't lay very well but is super sweet and is VERY fat! Hope this helps.
smile.png
I'm enterested in this breed, too. Hope somebody has some pics!

Last edited:
Yes they are pretty much the same except for color, Now if you buy hatchery stock Cornish they will not be anywhere close to the standard but they may lay better as the hatcheries breed for egg laying first. They are a slower maturing breed and are normaly not considered good layers as their eggs tend to be sml/med and light colored. They are very nice birds, I have many Cornish that are from breeder stock and they are just great birds.

AL

Personally, I thing the WLR Cornish are the prettiest of the lot. Wish now I had gone with them instead of the Dark. I'm guessing they will dress out nicely, too.

I hear most hatchery stock isn't great, and it is true mine don't stack up to the show birds I have seen, but they still have some very nice breast meat on them. I got mine from Ideal and am very happy with them. My guys are pretty big boys and I'm hoping to get some good chicks from them. I attend a lot of chicken auctions and have seen nothing I would prefer over these, of any breed.

Except one Dark Cornish roo.

And I promptly bought him.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Couldn't tell that by mine, Al. An egg every two or three days isn't exactly great in my brief experience with chickens.
lol.png

Hope to see you at Blanchard tonight.

I do have WLR from great show breed stock, they aren't laying very well right now as Cornish really need to have the heat and sun on their backs, so it can be late spring by the time they start to lay. Now there are many WLR breeders throughout the country and many Hatcheries still do carry them, you will have to do some searching though. These birds are only popular in certain chicken world sectors, But you won't find many on these threads as it isn't the huggy pie kissy poo type chickens that most everybody here go Ga-Ga over and they are not the pet Foo-Foo type lawn ornament chicken that seems to be the ( TRENDY ) type designer chicken most BYCer's like. They are great birds but do and should have a purpose as a breed. Now if you choose to go that route through a good breeder they can be a little higher $$ as like I said they aren't designer chickens and bring a premium price for good stock and can be a tad bit more chalenging to raise, thats why you don't see much of them on sites like these.

If this breed still sounds good to you after doing more research I can send you some links to good sites of quality WLR Cornish birds.

AL

Quote:
Couldn't tell that by mine, Al. An egg every two or three days isn't exactly great in my brief experience with chickens.
lol.png

Hope to see you at Blanchard tonight.

Hey Jim : Yeah they can be very stingey on the eggs laying LOL, Good to see your darks are doing well, I got my first standard white chicks of the season hatched finally, looking foreward to a good breeding season. Yeah I will be at Blanchard tonight, I need to get 15 Doz hatching eggs to Monty tonight.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack, just sayin Hi to my fellow Cornish buddy.

AL

And fellow Okie!
lol.png

Y'all should listen to Al more than me. He's a real chicken man, and knows his Cornish. I'm just saying if you find the breeders prohibitively expensive, I was happy with Ideal's birds.

Back
Top Bottom