Why Can't You Give Iron To Chickens??

Jeeper1540

Songster
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
The Canyons of Nevada
I keep ready everywhere to make sure you get IRON FREE medicine. i dont need it, but id like to know why for future reference. Please reply!
D.gif

Quote:
I don't know. I googled and couldn't come up with much. Excess iron is toxic, but it seemed that chickens were not any more vulnerable. Very intriguing. I guess I always assumed that it was too much. Hope someone has an answer

Good luck

Imp

Not sure either, but my best guess is their level of iron toxicity is lower than ours... and how people in todays world tend to over do vitamins. Most vitamin supplements are secreted, with 80-90% of what you take flushed down the toilet if you are eating regular food, but the things like metals can often cause toxicity because they are less soluble and can accumulate over time.

I've been reading about chicken nutrition in some old cockers books I inherited and they talk about giving raw beef liver to their chicken as an iron suppliment so i know they CAN have it but its probably the amount that they can have. It also said that they made this into an injectable givin to cockerls before and after dubbing to help them have less blood loss and recover from it quicker.

Too much iron is toxic. Iron supplements for adults are usually packaged in bottles with child proof caps, because too much iron is also deadly to children. Again, a size/dosage problem.

Copper and zinc are other metals that our bodies need in small amounts, but that are toxic in large amounts. For birds, too.

I think the grit I bought for my chicks has a ferric iron dye. Also, most critters (mice, worms, etc...) they eat have iron in their blood, of course the chickens themselves have iron in there blood.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think you might have copied the wrong URL (out of the wrong browser window maybe?) because that thread is about bumblefoot -- goatsheads as cause, and soaking in antibiotics or herbal preparations as cure.

It's not that you can't give chickens iron. Obviously they need SOME iron to live, for hemoglobin etc
tongue.png
It's just that because they are SMALL they are easily overdosed to toxic levels. So it is best not to give them vitamins or whatever else that has *added* iron, because you can accidentally kill 'em that way.

Pat

Chickens AND Guinea Birds are small critters. Less than 5 pounds for almost all. The reason they have infant formulas with NO iron is exactly for this reason.

There is enough iron in the feed and such for chickens and Guineas to survive quite nicely.

The last thing you need to do is stress a sick body that you are trying to help. This is why these threads even exist, to help a sick or other wise unhealthy bird.

Same goes with TOO much vitamins and other supplements. Go easy on these, especially the antibiotics.

Remember too that all birds DO NOT have a bladder. The urine concentratess itself for the bird to excrete. Any concentration of waste from the kidneys needs to

be looked at closely as it is never a really dilute.

Back
Top Bottom