My New Mandarin/Wood Duck PEN PICS PICS PICS PICS

Chosen Chickens

Songster
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Utah
I have completed my new duck pen. I have one pair of Mandarins, and one pair of Wood ducks. I may add another pair of something in the future, like Black east indies, call ducks, or white mandarins.

I got most of the ideas and inspiration from scott here on BYC, and modified it according to what he said he would like to see in a mardarin pen. You can view his duck pen at https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=287362

A few of the things that I decided to do with this pen:
1. The screen floor. Ducks are messy, and this goes a great deal to decrease this mess as most of their droppings go right through the floor into the orchard to add fertilizer.
2. The elevated pool. Again, with an elevated pool and drain underneath, it becomes very very easy to drain, and refill their "pond" and keep it looking nice and not so muddy. With the screen floor then they cant make to huge of a mess since they cant get
mud into it.
3. Nesting Boxes. Mandarins and wood ducks like to have an elevated nesting box to lay their eggs. I built the top ramp that leads to a platform with 3 seperate nesting boxes. While I haven't seen this particular set up, I am hoping that they will
recognize this as a place to lay eggs and do so.
4. Sleeping area. On the opposite side I wanted a sleeping area seperate from the nesting boxes where they can be to get out of the bad weather. As most with ducks know, they hardly spend anytime in there anyway, so I didn't make it that large at all
Just big enough that they can all fit in there no problem
5. Elevated planter boxes. Going along with the theme of my chicken coop, I wanted some planter on here as well to give it not quite as much of a artificial look. My hope is that eventually the ivy I have planted will grow all around the entire thing, and
then I will just keep the front viewing area free of ivy so that the rest looks like a big green building. This is probably years from now, but you have to start somewhere right? The plantar boxes are made very water-proof so there is no leaking into the
other areas.
6. Heated water-bowl. Not that I will need it anymore this year, next winter I thought it was good to have thier water heated, so I got a dog bowl that is heated. Also, I am trying to figure out a way to get the pool heated as well. Anyone that has suggetions that would be appreciated.

Things I already know I would do different:
1. The ramps and top platform are solid wood. I think to do it again I would make them outlines in wood with wire as the floor still. It seems that most of the duck waste accumulates on the ramps since it is solid. I may still change this
2. The feed area. When it rains or snows it is messing up the feed as it gets all soggy. I am trying to figure a way out to fix this.

The front shot of the duck pen. top ramp in front, bottom ramp in back. Sleeping area to the right, Nesting area to the left.

IMG_0211.jpg

Here is the nesting side. There are three nests that all have seperate opening to access the nest. In between the 3 nests are the two planting areas

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

This is the opposite side where I have an access door to the outside pen. I put the food right there because the water I can do from out side. to the left of the access door is the door to the sleeping area. Also the third pic shows inside the sleeping area where you can see my pair of wood ducks.

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

Here is the pond w/drain as well as underneath the pen where the drain pipe is.

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

Here is the top of the pen where they can access the nesting area. As well as some pictures of my Mandarins wondering what in the world I am doing.

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

Final Thoughts:

I love the pen and it seems to be working so far. As with any project there are a few things I would change. I love the mandarins pair and they seem very curious and seem to have gotten use to me and my fam. They are not near as spooked. The wood pair seems as wild as ever. I am not sure if some of you others have noticed that the woods act more wild then the mandarins, but it is the case for me. These mandarins are only yearlings so there is a chance that they will lay this spring, otherwise it will be next spring. Does anyone with Mandarins already have them laying eggs this early?

I also posted a similar post for my new chicken coop. If any of you would like to see it here is the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=323146

IMG_0191.jpg

Last edited:
Nice set up. I think I might copy you. I am getting a couple Woods and Madarians ducklings in next month. Thanks fro great Idea

gamebirdsonly, where are you ordering your ducks from? I think that ducklings are the way to go... I am thinking that when these guy lay eggs I may keep some kids and try to hanle them and tame them as much as possible and then sell the adults. I just love the mandarins... I hope the woods calm down

Wow! That turned out really well. I like the planters on the top. I actually got some elephant ear bulbs that I am going to plant in a pot and set them inside my duck's pen. I dont know if its possible in your set-up, but I know that I put feed actually inside the shelter itself.

Another idea--with your food/water area...you could cover that part of your pen. Home Depot has plastic roofing for like $30 a sheet. You could cut it and use it as a cover on the top of your pen to protect the food/water and that would provide them with much-needed shade in the summer, too.

Also, I use the bass equipment FINE-X feeders. They are wall mounts and come with lids...you may find they waste less with a smaller feeder than a larger one.

Quote:
Yea I made the shelter pretty small so it probably wouldn't work the best.... have you already started buildng your new mandarin pen? I want to see pics of that when you have it ready

Back
Top Bottom