Fox is killing My chickens!!! What the Heck do I do!!!!!!

LeBlackbird

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
SE Pennsylvania
Well is all started a morning a couple weeks ago when a fox broke into my bantam pens. I lost 5 birds
sad.png
I Assumed a raccoon because I found the tracks from where he dug under the fence. So I put up live traps and caught the darn thing. However, the nature of the attack didn't fit the raccoon's killing style (Raccoons will kill one bird at a time were as I lost 5) So maybe something was still out there?? I didn't know. I just hoped I had caught the culprit. A week later I Heard the birds yelling again early in the morning, So I bolted out the door. Whatever just killed my LF cochin hen Jumped back Over the fence!!!! So now this thing climbs and Digs! Sheesh! I started letting da' birds out late in the morning to keep the thing away. So now, 4 days later, it seems like it's gone, I let the birds free range. I hear my brother yelling "FOX!!!!" so I look out the window. There is a fox right next to the Darn house EATING MY Ameraucanas butt off!!! At this point, I let my Doberman out, and she chases it into the neighbors yard. later that morning it came back and tried to eat my Brahma. What the heck do i do!? It's coming out in the day now! Can I shoot it?

I'd shoot it. We use a baby monitor and when I hear my chooks making noises I wake up my DH and he shoots what ever it is. He has taped a LED flashlight to the barrel of his 12g shot gun. Works great. It's kind of funny now because after the big blast my husband usually leaves the remains in the coop until morning, but on the baby monitor the chickens settle right down and go back to sleep. I think they think when dad comes out with a big bang, they are all safe again. Good luck, I'm hunting a whelping coyote right now who is literally stealing my chickens. She has been spotted running in the back pasture with a chicken in her mouth by my neighbors.

Shoot it! Honestly, fox have just found a free meal ticket and it will just keep coming back to dine. I lost 1 hen and 7 chicks to a fox recently. I was really bummed.
sad.png

SHOOT THE SUCKER ....I TURNED OUT 70 ADULT GUINEAS AND DONE TO 16, BECAUSE OF AN IDIOT NEIGHBOR WHOM I CANNOT SHOOT......
somad.gif
BUT WISH I COULD.....MINE ARE KILLED DURING THE DAY WHEN WE ARE GONE ...IN 2 WKS TIME.... NOTHING LEFT BEHIND:eek:

I have a fox stalking my property now, we are leaving the dog out at night and trying to get out there in time to see the beast and shoot it before it gets to my EEs our big coop is fox proofed pretty darn good we have lined the bottom inside with chicken wire and it is thoroughly affixed to the bottom as well as a lining on the outside and many other things that have fox proofed it but our EEs are a new addition of a couple months and we are building their real coop in the mean time they are in a chainlink temp fence that is covered with bamboo and a area rug LOL but its def not fox proof.....I fear he may go after the EEs when he realizes he cant get to the bantys but the best thing you can do is SHOOT them before they get your birds. A bird shot or a double alt buck shot or if you have a hand gun or rifle any will work. just dont miss. You may not get another chance, also since you do in fact have a cage I would get a nice juicy chicken leg and thigh with skin and all on bone and leave it out in the sun for 24 hours, put it in the trap and put it near the coop. you may very well catch yourself a fox, it will be much easier to put it out of its misery this way or if you feel gung ho you can take it FAR FAR AWAY and let it go....maybe? LOL I wouldnt but you might....just a thought

The fox will come back till he or she takes them all. I had a coyote come try to get in my coop one morning and he actually got one of my hens but When I heard all the ruckus outside I ran out and that alarmed the coyote and he ran but I ran back in to get pants on. (yes I ran outside in my underwear) And he came back. And I got my jeans on and grabbed a bb gun and lit him up. See I cant legally discharge a firearm Or it would be dead. The Hen only lost a few handfuls of feathers. Luckily I got out there in time to freak him out

Last edited:
A good guy (or gal) with a gun is all it takes to resolve the situation.
Shoot to kill, don't waste your time on any other methods.
I use a combination of SSS and LGD.
No problems other than the occasional lucky Hawk.

Back
Top Bottom