looking for young bottle fed baby goat

ducktails

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Maryland
Last year I raised a baby goat whose mom rejected him so he imprinted on me. It was the most rewarding and saddest experience in my life. After a couple of months I returned him to his farm and he died of bloat. My fiance has a 20 acre farm and I desperately want another baby goat that has been bottle fed and loves people, so that it would be a loving pet. Any out there?

Do you have pictures? How old are they? Have any been bottle fed? rejected by the mother? There are plenty of goats for sale here, but I am looking for a special baby who wants to be with people instead of goats. Does that make sense?

I do understand what you are looking for. You are not looking for a kid that was kept in the barn and bottle fed along with the others several times a day. You are talking about a kid like (Peanut). He was bottle fed by my neighbor's firend. He lived in her house for a couple of months. He actually wore diapers and truly thought he was part of the family.

I will see my neighbor's this weekend and will let them know. The one neighbor has dairy goats, but does not milk, just raises. My other neighbor raises Boer (meat) goats. I don't know that you care what breed, you are more looking for the circumstance, needing to be bottle fed. It may not be that they are rejected. In the case if Peanut, he was not rejected, it was that his mother had 3 kids and was not able to provide enough milk for all three and Peanut (being the smallest) was not getting enough.

Hi, I'm in Va. I don't have a bottle fed, but I do have a couple of mamas with 2-3 week old babies I'm selling as pairs. Both the babies are does also. The one mama is very friendly.
big_smile.png

Ducktails! you are right raising a baby goat is the most rewarding this ever!!! I have been raising one on bottle, she will be 3 weeks tommorow! She loves climbing up in our laps to nap and chasing us around the yard it is so precious!Good luck finding a baby! You might want to arrange to buy a baby that has not yet been born then you can have it from day one.

DSC01384.jpg

She looks so sweet. Will anyone really do that? I know that it is best to leave them with their moms. The guy that I got my goat from told me that it would surely die. The mother rejected it and that was natures way of saying there was something wrong. I had great luck but didn't have it grazing more than about an hour a day. Not being that knowledgeable about goats, we didn't think about turning it out in a pasture full time might overload its system.

If you don't mind raising it yourself you should check with goat dairies in your area, you can usually get baby wethers for almost nothing!

That said, all babies raised here, dam raised or bottle raised are very friendly and people oriented! But I'm to far away from you!

Back
Top Bottom