Urban Downtown Living *six month update*

aubreynoramarie

designated lawn flamingo
9 Years
May 27, 2010
Reno, Nevada
hi everyone,
i live in the middle of the biggest liitle city in the world, and figured it would be the perfect place to raise pullets! So i've built this little coop, meant for 2-3 hens. its built into a closet in the mudroom of our home with a doggy door that leads to the small side of our house. We cleaned out out side yard of leaves and rocks and found its actually layed with cement which is perfect for keeping predators out. we filled it with play and all purpose sand, and put cement blocks in front of the doggy door to help keep dirt out. Not to mention that since the coop is built into our mudroom, they get lighting and central heating! today we finished the outside and let our five week olds out for the first time. my goodness! they were flying from one end to the other! they seemed so happy, digging little holes and rolling around in them, chasing eachother, enjoying the sun....yay! now my mudroom wont smell so bad!

anywhoo, heres pics of our little coop and the girls' first day out. this is simply improvision at its finest!

so we built a chicken wire door where a closet door would be. that window opens up for ventilation, the bottom two feet are enclosed completely, and there is a doggy door that can be closed up at night leading out into the run on the side of the house..

( i know the pics are small, its a camera phone thingy..) thoughts and input appreciated! thnx!

Photo06191907_1.jpg

Photo06191826.jpg

Photo06191828_1.jpg

Photo06191828.jpg

Photo06191827.jpg

Photo06191826_1.jpg

Photo06191829.jpg

Photo06191841_1.jpg

Photo06191839_1.jpg

Photo06191839.jpg

Photo06191844_2.jpg

Last edited:
oh yeah, and we just put up those perches today (i didnt want them up when we still had the heat lamp, im paranoid about fire! lol) and they have not left them, they just love em. do you guys think one inch diameter is big enough for when theyre full grown?

Quote:
run is 20 ft by 3 ft, and "mini coop" in 7 feet by 3 feet with three shelf /"nesting boxes" and a ground floor.

thanks alot
big_smile.png

VERY clever! I like it a whole lot - you did good! And those are some happy chickens, too!

About the roost bar, actually a 2x4 turned so the wider side is up would be best as a roost. A 1 inch dowel is too small.

Back
Top Bottom