Meetup at California State Fair in July @ Chicken exhibit building!

HHandbasket

The Chickeneer
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
El Dorado County, California
Hi everyone,

I'd like to arrange a meetup for those of us in northern California/Sacramento area--or anyone who wants to come, for that matter--to have a little meetup at the State Fair. It will be here in Sacramento at Cal Expo from July 14th through August 1st. Since most people are off on weekends, I was thinking some of us could meet at the fair opening weekend?? I intend to go several times, so whenever it's good for everyone else is fine with me. I'm definitely going opening day, can't wait to get to the Fur & Feathers exhibit building.

If you've never been to the California State Fair, it's an awesome event for those of us who love any kind farm life. The animal exhibits are awesome, and the farm/ag exhibits are my favorites. I have never seen anything quite like the California state fair. It has been more than 20 years since the last time I got on a ride at the fair because I am frankly there for the exhibits and not for the steenkin' rides!

Anyone up to meeting up @ the state fair the weekend of July 16/17? If not then, how about the weekend of July 24/25? Come on, chickeneers, let's go to the fair and have a great time!

For information on advance discount tickets to the fair, check out www.bigfun.org. We have already preordered our Poppy Pack!

Let's get together and meet up at the fair!

I am down with that! Yay! I am so glad to know and have met chicken people in Sacramento. July 24/25 is directly after my payday, so that would be best for me personally but I can totally figure something out if other people prefer meeting that first weekend! I will be there, either way! I've been to the state fair once, and lived in California since birth (and before! lol). I have NOT been to any chicken area yet though at the fair! The time I went I did not have chickens, so it didn't even cross my mind. This year? DEFINATELY!

I don't go on rides either, mostly because I am a bigger girl and don't want to try to fit my big butt in those tiny seats LOL!!! I am there for the animals and FOOD! Oh baby oh baby! Fry me up some oreo's and twinkies! Spin me some cotton candy! FUNNEL ME SOME FUNNEL CAKE!
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif

Last edited:
YAY! I'm down for the first weekend- it my Bday weekend! But I'll go to whichever day has the most BYC'ers going. Ah, who am I kidding? I'll go BOTH weekends if at all possible!! All right! Thanks for starting this HHandbasket! Cant wait to see ya'll there!

ETA- THANK YOU for the ticket link!! My big family needs all the discounts we can find! (now if only I could find cheap Disneyland tickets, my summer would be perfect!)

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to this! As soon as we get a general idea of who all is coming, we'll all put our heads together and pick a day and date. Hope the response picks up soon!

I wonder if I even posted this in the right category... I think I did, though. It would be great to all meet up! Even for those of us in Sacramento, we could meet up for coffee or Jamba Juice (mmmmmm, yummy this time of year) any ol' time, fair or no fair.

Hello! A meetup sounds fun! I'm new to BYC.....well, I've been poking around the message boards for awhile, but finally signed up. I just started a new job, and am still going through orientation stuff so I'm not sure what days I will have off. Just pick a date and hopefully I will be able to make it!

Btw...My name is Natasha. Nice to meet all of you.

Now I know there's a lot more of us in Sacramento and in the area cuz I'm meeting people every day on the streets talking about their chickens. The other night, hubby and I went out for dinner with a group he's been working with this summer, and the lady across from me at the table also has "secret chickens" in her back yard (they're not legal here). She was telling me a story about how the local CLUCK chapter (Campaign for the Legalization of Urban Chicken Keeping) recently took their chickens in protest and paraded them around on leashes through McKinley Park! Would have LOVED to have seen the chook parade!

So far there are about 5 of us meeting up. Well, I'm definitely going to be there the first weekend and was thinking that would be a good time to meet up @ the fair ... Saturday the 17th... how is that going to work for everybody?

Of note, the farm/animal exhibits are all closed up by 10 p.m., so you don't want to wait until it gets dark at 8:30 to head out there. I know the days are hot, but it's so worth it. They have lemonade... lots and LOTS of lemonade... to keep you cool! It's so weird because I have never kept chickens or birds of any kind for that matter, but the Fur & Feathers exhibit has always been my favorite of the animal exhibits, and I have always loved seeing all the gorgeous show-chickens that people bring in. It will hold special meaning for me this year now that I have a little flocklet of my own.
smile.png

C'mon, northern Californians... come to the state fair, we'll check out the chickens and the cows and the gardening/farm exhibits (if you garden, you'll love it), have some really-bad-for us fried foods and enjoy getting together and talking about our birds! I totally enjoy hearing stories about other people's chooks & love talking about mine.

Anyone else wanna come? Send me a private message so we can exchange contact information, too. This is gonna be SO much fun!

It IS a state fair afterall! I will DEFINATELY be there, whatever day. Looking forward to meeting other chicken people and seeing the chicken exibits! I've never seen a show chicken before, so I am excited
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Hello hello hello!

How does Sunday, July 18th, work out for everybody?

I will definitely be going to the fair on Wednesday, 07/14/10, as well. I'm a fair-monger. I don't know what it is about our state fair, can't quite put my finger on it, but I do love it. Maybe because every county has an exhibit, every part of the state is represented, and it is a little like encountering the whole state in 1 place at 1 time.

If you want, you can PM me and I'll share my contact information, and everyone who's going can share contact information & we can work out a place/time to meet.

I'm looking forward to really enjoying the chicken/fowl exhibit this year now that I know a little more about them than before.

See y'all at the fair!

I'm probably going to come, but I might be going to Sacramento on the 18th and it takes a while to get there... What time is the 18 meet-up? And will there be "mini meet-ups" during the week, like on Monday?

Hopefully see you there.

Back
Top Bottom