Newest Homemade Incubator

gmendoza

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Rock Hill,SC
My wife and I made a new homemade incubator that is running good. Here is a pic of it:

52004_incubator_2.jpg

52004_incubator_2.jpg

Its working good.The fan cost 6.00,the aquarium was 10.00,and the thermometer with humidity was 3.65.The rest was scrounged up here and there around the house and property.The temp is 99 and the humidity is 75%.We got fertile eggs from two quail hens and roo,and One egg from a oeg bantam.

Last edited:
gmendoza, I'm new to incubating, but isn't 75% humidity a little high? Or do quail eggs require more moisture? I'm incubating my RSL eggs at 42-44% humidity and 99.1 deg.

You'll have to keep us posted on how it hatches! I have almost all those materials on hand. What do you have in there for the water - just a shallow tray or sponges or ? What sort of lid do you have?

Thanks
Melissa

I might be able to find those things around our property...very interested in learning more from your experience...I didn't realize you could incubate different types of eggs at the same time, but people stick foster eggs under broody hens all the time, so I guess you can...

Can anyone post here the bare bones basics that are required for a successful incubator?

I'm guessing the following (am I missing anything?)

heat light to maintain temp (what temp do you keep chicken eggs at? and do you keep it at that temp for the whole duration?)

water to maintain humity (what humity do you keep it at? and do you keep it at that humity for the whole duration?)

a fan to circulate the air

a person to turn the eggs 3 times a day and replace them small tip down (is that right? so often I see them on their sides, but was told it should be small tip down?)

a gage to tell what the temp/humity is

Looking forward to seeing you hatched eggs....hopefully you'll post some pics!
smile.png

m2wandc, you don't need an actual heat lamp, a regular incandescent bulb will work just fine. I built my incubator out of a large foam cooler and used a 25w bulb for a heat source. If you use an aquarium as gmendoza has, a heat lamp might be needed due to the lack of insulation. There are tons of great plans / ideas for homemade bators in the "learning center". The eggs should be kept at 99.5 deg F for a forced-air unit and 101 - 102 deg F (at the top of the eggs) for a still-air. This temp should be maintained for the entire 21 days.
The humidity should be at 45% or so for the first 18 days and then bumped up to 65% or so for the last 3 days. The eggs need turned for the first 18 days as well, but you should stop turning them after that. They can be laid on their side as long as the large end of the egg is slightly lower than the tip. Hopefully this info helps and good luck if you decide to try hatching some eggs!!

Browneggfan--- 75% is good humidity.The chicks tend to stick to the shell if its below 60%.

The Lisser -----the tray I bought at Walmart for a dollar.It has a sponge cut in two and no lid.I put 1/2" wire on top for the fan because of water and electricity not mixing.The fan has been circulation the humidity really good.The brooder lamp has a 60 watt bulb in it.Go no higher on the bulb or you'll get hotter temps,no lower either.

Here is a parts list for everyone:

Walmart

one 10 gallon aquarium 10.00
one fan 6.00
one plastic pencil tray 1.00
one pack of sponges 2.00

Lowes

brooder lamp 9.00
pack of 60 watt bulbs 2.00
1/2" wire mesh 6.00 per roll
12"x20" single pane glass 4.00
one roll black duct tape 3.00
thermometer with humidity gage (manual) 3.65

Most of this stuff I had around the house except the fan.you must make a cage for the tray so your fan can sit on top,then make a tray for the eggs and a barrier so the chicks wont get into the fan when they hatch.Make sure the thermometer is in the middle of the incubator.The temps dont even fluctuate.Its been a toasty 99 degrees with 75% humidity.

I only turn the eggs once a day.Do hens put eggs under them pointy side down??of course not.I do in the incubator because the air sac should be on the fat end,and 2--the egg tray with 1/2" mesh works fine with the pointy side.

Sometimes the temp goes to 102 so I move the light just over the fan,then the temp comes back down to 99.not much adjustments at all.

There will be a gap on the fan side along the rim of the aquarium.Dont worry about it.It helps keep the humidity at 75% or so.if you cover it with duct tape,the humidity will spike at 100% so dont do this.

The water tray must have sponges in it and tape the mesh to the tray with duct tape.

also tape the edges of the top glass with duct tape to avoid cuts.

Browneggfan,that is not a heat lamp.Its a reflector with a 60watt light bulb.It might take away some heat,but if my tempo says 99 and humidity is at 75% I am happy as a clam.I have hatched eggs before in others with good success.I am not new to this,but this incubator is working out great.

I tell you 45% humidity isn't good for them.i have never hatched out anything less than 60%.There is too much disinformation going around.Research more if you like,or take my advice,a incubator hatcher with experience.
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom