Is this a pair of Wheaten Bantam Cochins??

CrystalCoastCochins

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 27, 2010
Last year I purchased a cute little Bantam Cochin chick from a local guy ( down the street ). Chick grew up and turned into a cute little rooster. Flashfoward to a few weeks ago. I traded some chicks to a young girl about an hour and a half from me for a "buff" colored hen and a blue Rooster. So I start doing some looking online and come across a picture of a wheaten hen on feathersite. They are not identical but my hen does look an awful lot like the hen on feathersite.
Then this past weekend I came across an ad on a local classified site and there was a listing for a "buff" bantam cochin. I emailed for a picture and strangely enough, the hen looked identical to mine. Unfurtunately, the hen sold before I could go pick her up :-(
So now I'm curious. I emailed the girl I got my hen from and asked her where she got her. She responds that she got her from a guy who lives locally to me. To be exact, the same guy that my rooster came from. So I went back and looked and my rooster does look a LITTLE like the picture on feathersite of a Wheaten Rooster. Its probably a stretch really but I am curious now and just have to know. Do I have..
A - A pair of Wheatens?
B - A pair of really low quality Wheatens?
C - Just say no to drugs!

Here are the pictures. First up are the pictures from feathersite to compare to.

64161_wheatencochinbtyh.jpg

64161_wheatencochinbtyroo.jpg

This is my rooster as a chick

64161_img_9959.jpg

My Rooster now

64161_img_2531.jpg

64161_img_2525.jpg

My hen

64161_3.jpg

She is molting and doesn't look as good in these pictures

64161_hen4.jpg

64161_hen5.jpg

64161_hen3.jpg

And here is the picture of the hen that sold this past weekend on the local website. I really hate that I missed her.

64161_soldhen.jpg

And just for fun. Here is the blue rooster that I got as a package deal with the mystery hen.

64161_rooster.jpg

So I am dying to know, what do you guys think? Am I suffering from "coop blindness?"

The hen looks a little wheatenish but I think they both look more ginger colored, either way they are are really rare looking color that I dont think I have ever seen in cochins before, I know there is a member here that has Wheaten cochins, but those dont look like pure wheatens, the roo should have a lot more black .

I was talking to my husband about this lastnight and he swears the rooster that the guy down the road has looks identical to the wheaten roo pictured on feathersite. I don't remember seeing any hens that looked like mine, they all looked like normal buffs. Could they be wheaten/buff crosses? I am going to try and go by his place sometime this weekend hopefully. His rooster is stunning but he won't sell it, I have already tried. I will try and take some pictures. How does the Wheaten gene work? If the guys rooster is a Wheaten and if all the hens were buff. Does that mean my two birds carry both genes? If I breed them together, what could I get? I still have so much to learn about chicken color genetics.

I think your hen is close! The feathersite hen (and my wheaten Seramas) have a bigger variety of colors in their neck, primary wing feathers, and tails. She's missing a bit of black. The roo looks like a really vibrant red. He's not got enough black in the right places to be wheaten, and he has too much black to be pure red. Congratulations on scoring a really unusual pair of birds!
bun.gif

To me, it looks like they are both Buff birds. The male is probably "supposed" to be a red cochin (or what hatcheries sell as red cochins. Just a much darker Buff color). The female is probably supposed to be buff as well but is probably bleached from the sun as well as genetics.

I am pretty certain that neither of my birds came from hatchery stock. IF they did, it would have to be many many generations ago. The guy my birds came from has had the same flock of birds for forever. The man is a local "good ol boy". He started with a flock of birds however many moons ago and they have just been allowed to do what chickens do best, make more chickens. Lots and lots of chickens. Around here, everyone has everyone elses chickens. I have often joked that the big chicken auction we have around here is pointless and that our time would be better spent if we all just stood out in the parking lot and traded birds. That's basically what we are doing anyway.
I honestly don't believe my birds would pass for buff cochins. I agree that they could have had a buff parent as I do remember that the guy had some buffs but there is definitely something else going on with them. As far as my hen being bleached from the sun. The first picture of her is a much better representation of her color, despite the fact that it is a little fuzzy. She is in a heavy molt right now and I just took those pictures the other day. She doesn't look very good at all. Purhaps I shouldn't have even posted the other pictures. She does have darker feathers on her wings and tail but not as much as the hen on feathersite. The Rooster also has darker feathers on his wings, tail, and legs but the color looks more blue or maybe even green than black ( like the Rooster on feathersite ). If you seperate his feathers, the base of each feather is different then the tip. I will have to see if I can take pictures. Does that make any sense?

Last edited:
If they are buff then I am definitely confused. Around here, this is what we call a buff

64161_img_8968.jpg

64161_img_8969.jpg

I know different colors can be called different things in different places but every buff I have ever seen online looks just like what we call buff around here. Just like what everyone calls a Lemon Blue on this site is called a Tangerine Blue around here.
If they are indeed buff, what genes are at work to cause the hens head, wings, and tail to be darker then the rest of her body?

Back
Top Bottom