Is this a pair of Wheaten Bantam Cochins??

Quote:
Where are you from where the " Lemon Blue " Cochins are called Tangerine Blue ? I have never heard that befor but I think they should be called that because you are right, most cochins that are called " Lemon Blues " Look like they are simply from a cross of Buffs and Blues, not the true Lemon Blue pattern as seen in gamefowl, though some cochins do have the true color. But I think Tangerine Blue should be a more approprite hobby name for the Buff X Blue crosses.

And you are rightm the ones in your pics are what I call buffs too, the ones posted by the OP do not look like pure buffs.

The OP also mentioned the neighbor having a roo that looks like the Wheaten roo pictured and I wanted to add that he may well be a Partridge roo as Partridge and Wheaten roos look very similar.

Here is one of my wheaten hens.
26231_birds09_002.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep, you are the one I mentioned earlier, but I couldnt remember your name. That is a beautiful hen you have there, I would love to have some Wheaten Cochins. Do you have a wheaten rooster and do you ever sell and eggs or offspring from them? Please PM me with details if you do.

Last edited:
Quote:
64161_3.jpg

Ok, now I am even more confused. Seriously, my hen looks just like that. Same contrast between head/neck and body. Same small amount of darker feathering in the wings, a little less darker feathering in the tail. She may not appear it in the photos but that is what she looks like. Maybe I just need to take some better photos of her.

Danny, does your hen have a bunch of different colored feathers on her neck like the hen pictured on feathersite?

Quote:
I totally agree. Buff is a rather difficult color to get right. If they are poor quality, there will be uneveness and bleached out parts... like your hen. The roo is red. They may even be crosses but are not wheaten.

Danny's bird has a slight variation in color creating a bit of a pattern that differentiates her from yours. I have wheaten rosecombs

188-2.jpg

104.jpg

Last edited:
Crystalcoastcochins........I have a hen that looks just like yours....she is a buff crossed with something else. Can't remember what. She is "different" looking, but definitely not wheaten. She is part of a mille fleur cochin project so I would guess she is probably buff columbian crossed with buff or something like that.

Quote:
Where are you from where the " Lemon Blue " Cochins are called Tangerine Blue ? I have never heard that befor but I think they should be called that because you are right, most cochins that are called " Lemon Blues " Look like they are simply from a cross of Buffs and Blues, not the true Lemon Blue pattern as seen in gamefowl, though some cochins do have the true color. But I think Tangerine Blue should be a more approprite hobby name for the Buff X Blue crosses.

And you are rightm the ones in your pics are what I call buffs too, the ones posted by the OP do not look like pure buffs.

The OP also mentioned the neighbor having a roo that looks like the Wheaten roo pictured and I wanted to add that he may well be a Partridge roo as Partridge and Wheaten roos look very similar.

I live in South Eastern North Carolina. Around here I think people just call it like they see it. If the bird is yellow on blue then it's called a Lemon Blue. If the bird is red on blue then it's called a Tangerine Blue. Tangerine Blues sell really really well around here. I have a chick right now that came out of the egg with a neon orange stripe that starts at the base of the beak and runs over the top of its head, down its back all the way to his tail. I can't wait to see how much red it has an an adult. Usually my birds start with very little red and get more as they get older. If that is the case with this chick, it should be almost solid red on top as an adult. Very exciting.
Anyway, here are some examples.

This is what is called a Tangerine Blue.

64161_adam_296.jpg

64161_adam_289.jpg

64161_adam_295.jpg

This guy was probably mixed but he had some excellent coloring. I sold him to a lady who just wanted him as a yard ornament.

64161_adam_209.jpg

64161_adam_290.jpg

This is what is called a Lemon Blue around here.

64161_lemonblueroo.jpg

Tangerine in back and a Lemon in front.

64161_lfroos.jpg

Although I suppose it is possible, I don't think the rooster my neighbor has is a partridge. Most partridge I have seen have been more tri-colored. This guy is simply red on top and black on bottom. I will see if I can get over there this weekend and take some pictures. I am also curious to see if he has anymore hens that look like my girl. I have a friend who said she went over there a few weeks ago and he had several two month olds that looked like her. Maybe I can pick up another one.
I would really love to find a rooster. For now though, I think I am going to end up putting her with my red/not red/buff/not wheaten rooster that I posted in the op with the hen. He came from the same guy so who knows what I will get. It really doesn't matter to me what she is. Poor quality buff, buff crossed with red, partridge crossed with buff. It doesn't matter. I absolutely love her color. I thought maybe she could be a wheaten but I didn't have my hopes up or anything. I just thought she looked similar so I thought I would ask. I have had a lot of people who have shown interest in her so I would like to see if I can get some chicks that look similar. I may even try her with one of my MF cochins to see what I can get.

Last edited:
Quote:
I totally agree. Buff is a rather difficult color to get right. If they are poor quality, there will be uneveness and bleached out parts... like your hen. The roo is red. They may even be crosses but are not wheaten.

Danny's bird has a slight variation in color creating a bit of a pattern that differentiates her from yours. I have wheaten rosecombs

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/msbear33/188-2.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/msbear33/104.jpg

Absolutely beautiful!!

Back
Top Bottom