Found bloody tissue..(solved: shedding of intestinal lining chicks ok)

organicfoltzfamilyfarm

Songster
10 Years
Dec 13, 2009
Trafalgar, IN
Thanks for all of the info. The chicks are going great. It was just intestinal lining.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Three 3 week old FBCM, and three 10-15 week old Silkies
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Normal
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
None
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
None. Not even blood on the vent
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Purina Start and Grow chick feed with water (eating habits normal)
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Bloody with some tissue
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing. I just found it like 3 mins ago
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I would like to do what ever I can
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
See below.
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Pine shavings

They are all normal. I suspect a Silkie did this thought they are all acting normal. The feces was way to big for my Marans.
DSCN0549.JPG

DSCN0550.JPG

DSCN0551.JPG

The above 4 pictures are of the first poo I found. Below is the second poo:
DSCN0552.JPG

I'm thinking they ingested the pine shavings and had it stuck in their crop....But what do I know?!

Last edited:
My first thought was that it was normal shedding of the intestinal lining, which can freak a person out, but that looks like it definitely las blood, which is not good. You should add 1/4c powdered milk per quart feed until you can lay your hands on Corid or some other brand of Amprolium. Another option (I have no experience with this one) is Deccox, which is a different coccidiostat, and I'm not sure how it works.

Amprolium is used to treat and prevent coccidiosis by halting Thiamin uptake in certain strains of the organism that causes it. Amprolium doesn't weaken or hurt the bird at all, unlike antibiotics. I think you're dealing with coccidiosis and you haven't got much time by the time you see blood. Get thee to the feed store!

Powdered milk is supposed to help, but I can't remember the mechanism. Adherence maybe? Use as much as you want.

Even if you're using medicated feed, get the Amprolium, as the amount in the feed is a mild preventative and you need a higher dose to save them once it's set in.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom