I think we need a temporary (or permanent) forum...

Naztrain

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
We need a BYC article forum, so people can request or write new articles for BYC. We could try this just as a temporary forum, or as a permanent one.

Just a suggestion...

Naztrain, great idea, but CC and I are a few steps ahead of you. I'm in the process of evaluating CMS "content management systems" that will allow people to post content on the main site.

The reason: The forum is a great place to come, be friendly, ask questions, get help, etc. But even with the cool new search features it is still not super easy to find information. I want to continue to increase the helpful information found on BYC.com and need EVERYONE's help!

Let me talk with CC about setting it up as a temp forum until I get the CMS loaded. The first article I'd like the group to help write is something like:

"So Your Thinking About Owning & Raising Chickens" A very high level article discussing the pro's and con's of owning chickens in a relatively urban backyard.

Basically something for people in the "city" that don't have access to other people that own chickens and want to have quick answers to the most basic questions. It should be really basic with a hint of marketing to convince them to get chooks! Once they get hooked (and we know they will) they can explore the rest of the site for more details (link to "more details" from within the article).

I don't want one person to write this VERY important document that will be linked to from the home page of BYC.... I want it to be a community project.

What do you think?

I would suggest you first begin with the basics ... and also that this info come from a reliable source such as the following:
http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/exthome.htm
(should not be a problem to post this in its entirety as an article on the site as long as the source is given credit)

Perhaps even make the above (or similar source article) available as PART one ... then expand on that ... different aspects could be discussed and expounded upon>like for instance organic vs. traditional ...and then not to take a position on the matter put to point out that one often does not consider such things when starting out (excellent example in point: how to deal with cocci when one takes the position of nonmedication except on a herbal basis and such)

I can't copy it and paste it because I'm at school at the moment and they've blocked my website, but on the bottom of the home page, there is a ten point section on 'why chickens'. Feel free to use it
smile.png

I'll have a stab at writing something for kids . . . after all I am one
smile.png

I just love your site! Definitely a great idea. How about this:

An article for why to have chickens

A simple article for basic chicken care, and then links to more detailed articles / forum posts on each area.

Maybe we can assign volunteers to each section to write (feeding, housing, etc. etc.).

Back
Top Bottom