Made a "warming hut" for my outside chicks

HenHaven

Songster
12 Years
Mar 3, 2007
Coarsegold, CA
My chicks were started inside in a brooder in my office. The chicken dust was starting to cause some allergy problems for me, so I came up with something that allowed me to get them outside into the coop.

The chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old so they need to have a place that will warm them up to about 80-85 degrees. I know they can take lower temps in short spurts if they are active (like if they were with mom). So I came up with the warming hut. They run around in their section of the coop, then go in the hut to warm up. They got the hang of it right away, and the first night, they went right in and so far it is working great.

I do have to raise and lower the lamp, but that's not a problem in my situation. Our weather has, fortunately, been pretty stable with lows around 40-42 degrees. This is my third year raising chicks, and this is almost as easy as having a broody raise them!

DSC01164.jpg
DSC01192.jpg

DSC01173.jpg

Last edited:
You are more than welcome to the idea! There would be many ways to tweak this system, to suit individual needs.

They are so much happier with more space to run in. We have been lucky to have days in the high 60's to low 70's lately, so they are spending almost all day running around outside the hut. But I see in the forecast that we are going to get rain next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom