Twisted neck and semi-paralys.. day 24.. HELP ! :(

FaneBursuc

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
Romania
I received a young roster for eating purpose. It was a kind of present. I didn't want to eat what now is my friend, so i decided to keep it as a pet, even that i live in a flat. His age were approximately 2 months when i received. I don't think it had any vaccine made.

Unfortunately the cockerel was sick when i received it and had a lot of chicken lices (a sort of fleas). I managed to get rid of lices, but the sickness remains.

In first 4 days after i received it started to eat less and less food.And it start to make very fluid droppings.

After day 9 it must be force feeding.

After 12 days it start to stay more time with eyes closed than open, even i was patting him.
I give him peeper and milk because of a crisis - it was like it were gonna die in that moment.
It got a little better after pepper and milk.
It start to can't stand on it's own feet, aiding with it's wings to stand.
It start to keep the beck semi open to breathe, from time to time.

In day 15 i were with it at the veterinary doctor. It give to me: antibiotics (1ml per day) vitamins (colorless and yellow) (2.5ml per day each) (the yellow it suppose to contain glucose) and some yellow pills for liver - the feet and the beak were too yellow - jaundice / icterus ?
From that day it cant stand on it's own feet even with the aid of it's wings.

After day 18 (3 day after the treatment in course and a lot of feeding) started to keep its head turned to left, the same side with it does fall (like i said, it can't stand on it's feet).

After day 21 it start to not digest food from the crop - the crop empty now in 12 hours or more, instead of 4 - 5, like in the beginning. It's nose holes start to be a little moist.

Now i am in day 24. It keeps it's eyes closed for most of the time, make liquid droppings, don't eat, don't drink, slow digesting, breathe aid with semi-open beak, still too yellow feet and beak, still runny nose, it's eyes i think they are a little to moist, can't stand on it's legs (it seems it can't find them), has very low power/ strengh/ fatigue and keeps the head turn to left at more than 90 degrees. Now it can't coordonate well its movement beak - usualy it miss by 5 cm. I made today a visit at the veterinary doctor witch said the cockerel had under 20% chances to live, base of a week of medicamentation (see day 15) and no positive results.

Additional info: I gave him to eat: boiled (and cooled, off course) egg, bread, wheat, corn... It has a weight of 1150 grams and i give him to eat 30 grams food and 10 grams water per meal. 4 meals per day, except from 21 day to present, when i cant give him more than 3, and i believe it will fall to 2 (the crop remains full, unfortunately)

I'm sorry for my bad language (i'm from Romania) and for the long post. I hope somebody will tell me what i can do. Even sick, the rooster it's very beloved to me and i wish him to live.. I feed him, i clean him, i buyed medicaments for him, but i don't know what to do next.. please help me.. please..

Coco-Riki in first days when i was received it:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Everyone has any idea about what's wrong with my cockerel? Please.. i enter in day 25 with it and the things don't go better at all..

This is a website with common poultry diseases and diagnosis charts at the bottom:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I don't know what is wrong with your chicken friend. I hope you can find the answer on that website- or that someone will tell you something valuable.

Look at the twisting of the neck on the charts (especially) on that webpage.

Last edited:
My chicken seems to develop respiratory problems now
sad.png
I checked it a moment ago and now breathe with beak more open than before. From the charts you provided to me, ChickensAreSweet, it seems to has "Aspergillosis" ? - paralysis yes, twisting of head and neck yes, bluish-purple discoloration of face no, gasping seems to yes. In plus, my bird has some diarrhea, with don't appear at the symptoms of Aspergillosis.

What means "Mortality in young birds averages 5-20 percent, but may be as high as 50 percent."? That means not all birds are killed by this f@&!^g virus? It's possible to escape, some? "Treatment : There is no cure for infected birds." How mean "no cure"? No cure at all? I mean.. the virus came, do what it want and it can't be stopped with something?

I will continue treat my poor rooster with care, and tomorrow (it's 22.00 here) i will talk again with vet about darn aspergillosis .. Living in the city, he is vet for dogs and cats and doesen't know very well what to do for birds.. i will show the charts you provided, ChikensAreSweet (thank you for that) and .. i will hope for the best..

Anyway, i need any advices and tips i can receive.. like i said, my vet doesn't know to well the fowl.. (in my city it's forbidden to raise fowls)

Last edited:
I wish I could help...maybe the vet can use the chart to help figure out the problem. Up to 50% mortality means up to 50% of the ones who get it could die. Viral sicknesses have no cures. You can only treat the symptoms to help the chicken until the virus passes but I don't know of any viruses that would last as long as your chicken has been sick. Keep trying to get him to eat...especially yogurt and boiled egg and keep the liquids in him. Oh I hope he makes it. He is beautiful
sharon

He is so pretty and you are such a good, devoted owner to try so hard and spend so much to help him. I don't know anything about that kind of disease at all. But when they can't eat/ drink it can be very, very difficult to save them. You are doing all you possibly can, please don't blame yourself. Maybe he was already exposed to some illness before he was given to you.

I think now that it had respiratory problems from the day i was received, breathing with beak sightly open from time to time, but in that time i thought it was nothing serious. I mean sightly open and from time to time...

From charts provided to me now, i suppose that Marek's disease can be too.. Marek or Aspergillosis. Both appears that has no cure. Marek it's a sort of cancer, so i guess it never stops. And aspergillosis it's a fungus, who can't be killed with anything, inside the host. Maybe the fungus from some reason stops growing itself..

Can you tell me if somebody had a chicken who lived with Aspergillosis? From "the books" the fungus aren't necessary lethal. That, in case the cockerel has fungus instead the virus.. it's eyes are nice and clear, no sign of tumors from Marek.

I wonder if the cockerel has physical pains. In some times it looks pretty sad and it's eyes are wet like it was crying (no discharge from eyes, though) but never make sounds to complain.. The darn diseases s@(%s!

Thank you everybody for support and best wishes.. i hope from all my heart it will be alright..

The young rooster keeps it's beak open when breathing and it's legs become cold. It's head now is rotated to left by 110 degrees and it's up-side down (inverted on vertical). It's eyes are closed for very most of the time. From time to time it rotates it's head around. The skin on it's chest start to have a bluish color and to make some tiny wrinkles. It start to make watery green poop, and after the charts it's in terminal stage on Marek's disease. This darn guy should be shot on sight...

This picture was made in this morning when it's health was a little better. It was pretty hard to catch the moment when it's eyes were open.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom