Chain drive garage door opener as a egg turner?

Prdtordude

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 19, 2010
Has anyone ever used or tried to use a chain drive garge door opener to turn you egg trays?
hu.gif
It seems like it could work and if it's a 24 volt motor we could use a cheap low voltage timer for from irrigation systems. They operate 24 volt valve solenoids. or maybe a landscape light timer? Let me know what you think.

I wondered if it wouldn't jerk the eggs around to fast, but you should be able to adjust the speed by changing the sprockets to change the gear ratio.

Quote:
Hmmmmmmm... I wonder if you could use the thing that turns the knob on a washing machine?? It turns slow, 15-30 minutes depending on what cycle you use

Quote:
Hmmmmmmm... I wonder if you could use the thing that turns the knob on a washing machine?? It turns slow, 15-30 minutes depending on what cycle you use

think rotisserie motor or old style clock motor, industrial time clocks the analogue style would work I started building one with the old style defrost clock off a refrigerator I just got busy hatching quail and never finished the project ...yet
smile.png

I'm just wondering how big a incubator you are building that you could bolt a garage door opener to????

I would suggest as an alternative that you visit some of the robotic hobby sites and purchase a low voltage gear motor for about $12. You can get a good one from here, http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G15492, that I know will turn 3-48 egg trays. Do a little gearing and it can run continuious. Or, mount it as is and use a timer so that it only turns a few times per day.

14833_0409101047.jpg

14833_0502100914a.jpg

You can even contact cbiblis and get one of his electronic motor controllers. (Its the circuit board in the middle of the circuit boards in the next pic). The speed is fully adjustable with just the turn of a POT screw.
14833_0502100914.jpg

I was think using the microwave turner motor at one point, but never got around doing it . The garage door motor may be moving too fast.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering how big a incubator you are building that you could bolt a garage door opener to????

I would suggest as an alternative that you visit some of the robotic hobby sites and purchase a low voltage gear motor for about $12. You can get a good one from here, http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G15492, that I know will turn 3-48 egg trays. Do a little gearing and it can run continuious. Or, mount it as is and use a timer so that it only turns a few times per day.

14833_0409101047.jpg

14833_0502100914a.jpg

You can even contact cbiblis and get one of his electronic motor controllers. (Its the circuit board in the middle of the circuit boards in the next pic). The speed is fully adjustable with just the turn of a POT screw.
14833_0502100914.jpg

Back
Top Bottom