Chicken waterer nipple ?

zekii

Songster
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
New Hampsha
Does anyone know how many chickens can adequately drink from a single nipple waterer.
I've seen soda bottles, milk jugs used, with these 360 nipples attached, but I am trying to get an idea how many nipples I would need to supply enough water to a flock ?

I have 4 hens, had 5 when I set up the watering system with one nipple per bird. Don't think they got the hang of it, because I am back to the 2 gallon waterer - good luck

Quote:
Even for small flocks, I would recommend having a minimum of two nipples just in case 1 fails you have 1 as back up.

Currently I have 3 nipples and 4 hens, but from my observations 3 nipples is a lot more than 4 hens need. Never have I seen 3 drinking at once but rarely I have seen two try to drink... when that happens most often the two go for the same nipple
smile.png
rather than get their own nipple.

I expect all would be fine with a ratio of 1 nipple per 4 hens but have not put it to the test.

I'm going to get some nipples, and make some milk jug waterers, and have it ready once I get my chicks.
I read at one of the web sites a ratio of 1 nipple to 5 birds is about right.

D.gif

I heard the milk jugs arent strong enough. eventually they will weaken. You are better off getting a pail - like a 1 or 2 gallon.

3 nipples were plenty for 7 chickens when I used them

Two nipples for the first 20 and one more for each 10 after that. There is almost no way possible for a nipple drinker to fail to deliver water. If they fail in any way it is by delivering to much water or leaking.
Milk jug, pitchers that don't hang straight, etc are problamatic. It seems that square covered plastic pails work the best in many situations.

I wouldn't think a milk jug would hold up. I have four in the bottom of a 5-gallon bucket. It worked really well until the night time temps dropped into the teens. I might have to get a bucket warmer b/c I don't think the hens like drinking from the pan anymore. If I could find some, I'd really like to have a couple of the smaller, covered, square pails. They quit seller our cat litter in them though. BTW...I had a dozen using four nipples and don't think I would have needed more than 2 though.

Quote:
Ok ... thanks for the info, I have some yellow square cat litter pails, so those should work out fine for the coop, probably 3 nipples in the bottom.

I read that for plastic pails you should use the push in type nipples with the gaskets... are those the best too use ?

For a small chick brooder what would you reccomend for a container to use for the nipples ? Can't be too big, since my brooder is just a large plastic rubbermaid tote.

yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom