Mangels (also Fodder Beets)

zekii

Songster
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
New Hampsha
Anyone here grow Mangels... I read that this is a good crop for poultry, especially for winter forage.
Where can I buys some seeds ? Also can these be reseeded from the plant ?

D.gif

Yup..folks have been feeding Mangles to their livestock since forever...
I should grow some too!!..
smile.png

Thanks for the sources, Johnnys would be my first choice but they only sell in large quantities, I'm not planting acres of beets !!!
Yellow carrots ... will also consider those.

Thank you !!!

thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
baker's creek i think has small packets of 200-250 seeds for about $2.50/pk, and they also sell the larger bags in the bulk area. check the description of all the beets since some can grow to 20lbs! the mangel they have listed is a red but the orange and white beets right beside that one is also a mangel type that get large and are described as food for livestock!

Quote:
How much space do you have and what other critters/ You could also plant turnips, rutabagas or beets, as you know chickens will eat anything that grows in the ground.
thumbsup.gif

I hate to hijack but was wondering how one goes about feeding them to the chickens? I would assume that you would have to dig them up as needed, but what about when the ground freezes and how could they be stored? I read about them just recently and thought it may be a good idea to try them, but I am looking for a little bit more information.

Back
Top Bottom