Nite Guard... Worth the money???

There have been a bunch of threads on this topic in the last few years. A few find it helps but must be moved every few days or so. Most say it does not. Someone usually suggests a talk radio station as an alternative, which has similar results or maybe a little better.

I found some clip on, red flashing led lights at the Amish store for $3. They are the kind you can put on a bicycle or a buggy. They run on 2 AA battieries. I have not had any problems with night predators. I got them all over the yard and use rechargeables. It is alot cheaper then nite guard.

We have four, one on each side of our coop/run and I have never noticed any predator trying to get to our chickens and we live in the woods. We have coyotes, foxes, raccoons, bobcats, you name it. Our coop IS like Fort Knox, though.

I use Nite Guard lights. I had a horrible problem with raccoons decimating the fish in my ponds, tearing up the pond plants EVERY night. Then I got chickens and my coop and run were like Fort Knox. Continued to lose goldfish and pond plants and found some scratching at the hardware cloth apron around the coop.....

Found the Nite Guard lights, bought 3. (One side of run is very close to my house; I figured I could get away with just using one on each of three sides.)

IMMEDIATELY, and I mean, IMMEDIATELY, that night, no raccoon predation at the ponds. None since, either.

I don't care what the nay-sayers claim, or that raccoons can't see red, or anything. I swear by my NiteGuard lights.

I also found some cheaper, with two red blinking lights, and bought those to fortify the run, because I expanded it and the chickens now free range. Coops are still locked up, but the run is open. No raccoon damage to my ponds, I've been able to restock them. No night-time loss of chickens either. (Or daytime, for that matter.)

Back
Top Bottom