New chicken pen out of pallets

wwalding

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Dothan,Alabama
]After a few lost chickens this winter from fox. I decided I needed to make a pen for the chickens. I only had a make shift run made out of PVC pipe. I have been letting them free range durning the day. But my girls get into everything. :-( and what they don't poop all over, they eat! with the garden plans coming soon. They need a big run to stay in most days. But funds are at a minimum. So I looked into ways to build a fence to keep the girls in and the critters out. So for 50.00 dollars I made a pen out of pallets. The pen is 15x30. I only have 3 girls and 1 rooster left. Lucy,dolly,blue and red. I plan on getting a few more now that I have a pen. I will still let them free range from time to time. If I'm out in the yard working. The pen is 7ft high. I plan on making some viewing windows all along the right side so I can watch them. I will just cover the bottom and the windows with standard chicken wire. Also plan on moving my American bulldog out on a dog run next to the chicken run, and installing string or fishing line all over the top to keep the hawks out. I have every predator known to man...lol.. Even had a hawk attack my lucy once. while I was standing 30 ft away! Now to figure out how to post
SSSr8OD

04FU8di

""Another Update""
More pics
Q8LDoNb

a8iH0xj

2RiYR88

eU5JyHm

4EQKy6q

Garden fence from pallets to keep my girls out..
d21tmkC

Another update!! I have yet put a top on. But did add my bulldog. He has been out there for a couple months with no issues.. He was aggressive at first but with a little training and time.. He doesn't even look at the chickens. Infact they eat his dog food and drink from his water. And the big hen has attacked him a couple times.. Rocky just lays down and looks at her as she is doing her strut. She attacks him every time I open the door to get eggs. And if a hen is in there she alerts my roo.. The he come running across the yard yelling.. The the big hen automatically goes running to the dog thinking he is the one causing the issues. But he is always just laying there watching me.. I will post pics when I get around to finding some.. But so far there has been no attacks... We have added 2 more hens. We have a total of 9 hens, 1 roo. And 3 chicks. Also have 5 eggs due to hatch in about a week or 2.. Just candled them tonight....

This was wife and I idea last spring when we first got started with the chickens.. Wife won the water contest... I know I'm still bragging on her...lol..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=53426-fang-dangled-automatic-waterer

Last edited:
wink.png
Great Job!! Kind of makes me kick myself in the butt, I just went to Lowe's and spent 345.00 on supplies to build a heavy duty run area for my girls... Let us know how the fishing line works. Will that keep a red tail hawk out of the area? If so I may do the same

Back
Top Bottom