What is with theses eggs?

BookWorm243

Songster
9 Years
Oct 13, 2010
Franklin, NC
I cracked some eggs that have black spots in them. I was wondering what the deal is with that. I have had some blood spots now and then, but never this. Also are these eggs fertile?

Thanks
big_smile.png

69773_104_1916.jpg

69773_104_1914.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry for the bad pictures my camera is on it's last legs. My girls are just under a year old. I thought they where fertile but was wondering because my rooster has been gone since January 6th, I did not know that eggs could be fertile for that long
hmm.png
I figured it was not going to harm us but some of the family was not convinced.
tongue.png
So I wanted to make sure. I was not sure if they where blood spots because they where so much darker than what I have seen from my eggs, but now I know.

69773_104_1915.jpg

Quote:
Sorry for the bad pictures my camera is on it's last legs. My girls are just under a year old. I thought they where fertile but was wondering because my rooster has been gone since January 6th, I did not know that eggs could be fertile for that long
hmm.png
tongue.png
So I wanted to make sure. I was not sure if they where blood spots because they where so much darker than what I have seen from my eggs, but now I know.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/69773_104_1915.jpg

fertility can last 3 weeks give or take-wont be for long now-I dont see any in your last photo though

Last edited:
Lots of times if you store the egg for a week or so the blood spot absorbs, and your family won't have anything to freak out about.

Quote:
hmm.png
tongue.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/69773_104_1915.jpg

I asked because sometimes this happens with new layers. If that's the case, they usually straighten themselves out shortly.

Thanks everyone,
We had more girls but the Coyotes changed that quickly. So know with only two we go thru the eggs quicker than when we had more coming in. So they don't sit in the fridge as long, probably why we are noticing it more now
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom