The McGraw Thread

stoneunhenged

Songster
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
USA
Dan Powell of Maiden Rock, Wisconsin, first told me about a remarkable bird developed by Dr. Albert McGraw of Anderson, Alabama. The bird was called a silver spangled Araucana by Dr. McGraw, but lately we've taken to simply calling them McGraws. Dr. McGraw, who raised chickens since 1925, used among other birds the first appenzeller spitzhauben imported into the US as foundational stock to develop the McGraw. (The story of how the spitzhauben arrived in America is remarkable in itself.) Dr. McGraw spent three decades developing the bird. The McGraws are great free-rangers, are very feed efficient, and produce piles of large blue eggs. They're a testament to the ingenuity and perseverance of backyard poultry breeders everywhere. Here are the McGraw rooster and hen:

McGrawrooster.jpg

McGrawhen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting, how many McGraws are there? Who has them? The rooster looks split for silver and gold, is he? Thanks for starting this.

Last edited:
The rooster may be split for gold. Dr. McGraw did develop gold spangled Araucanas as well. Dr. McGraw's son Keevin may still have a few birds. There may be a few in Ohio. I'd be interesting in hearing if they are any remnant flocks out there.

The hen is a fabulous color. She has a nice overall shape. Her head is really nice and I like her "Stink Eye" someone made her unhappy.

Lanae

Is the pictured male a supposed to be a pea combed bird, or does he have some single comb in there? And, when you say split to gold, are you just referring to gold vs silver? Or the actual creme/dilute gene found in "Citron" and "Cream" colored birds?
wink.png

To me it is a tad of a shame they didn't just continue following the Araucana standard, . . . Araucanas need more colors with breeders who are focused on a good goal. There's a lot of colors of Araucanas out there, yet so few breeders.

Pretty birds though.
smile.png

Quote:
I meant silver vs gold. Cream (Ig) and dilute (Di) are two different genes. Citron is gold + Ig and Mh

Last edited:
Ah.

What strikes my interest are their faces. . . Certainly not Spitzhauben or Araucana I'm seeing, wonder what else is in there?

Back
Top Bottom