The McGraw Thread

Quote:
They do resemble games. I really like the looks of them. How much do they weigh?

Last edited:
I have never weighed the birds, but they are approximately the same size as LF Ameraucanas. They do have a relatively large breast which is a good thing when you have roosters to cull.

Quote:
I'm a sucker for spangled birds, too. Illia would never approve, but I wonder what would happened if one crossed Brabanters with Ameracaunas? Could one end up with a spangled, crested bird that laid blue eggs? A spangled, crested, blue egg layer would be the answer to this girl's dreams.

It's never going to happen (ADHD here), but what color ameracauna would least interfere with the spangles?

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm a sucker for spangled birds, too. Illia would never approve, but I wonder what would happened if one crossed Brabanters with Ameracaunas? Could one end up with a spangled, crested bird that laid blue eggs? A spangled, crested, blue egg layer would be the answer to this girl's dreams.

It's never going to happen (ADHD here), but what color ameracauna would least interfere with the spangles?

I've wondered the same thing, and had both breeds on my order before my sudden move this fall.
wink.png
Still planning on some Lavender Am. eggs, just because. (I do so like the crested version of the Araucana in the UK....) I believe we figured up that gold Brabanter and lavender Ameraucana would, eventually through several generations of selective crosses, make some kind of fancy isabel spangled crested, bearded blue egg layer on another thread.

But frankly, this is pretty darn close to that, and has a fascinating history to boot. I'm okay with not reinventing the wheel when I don't have to!

Quote:

I've wondered the same thing, and had both breeds on my order before my sudden move this fall.
wink.png
Still planning on some Lavender Am. eggs, just because. (I do so like the crested version of the Araucana in the UK....) I believe we figured up that gold Brabanter and lavender Ameraucana would, eventually through several generations of selective crosses, make some kind of fancy isabel spangled crested, bearded blue egg layer on another thread.

But frankly, this is pretty darn close to that, and has a fascinating history to boot. I'm okay with not reinventing the wheel when I don't have to!

As am I, but there seems to be some question as to whether McGraw birds are still out there. I don't think anyone has come forward, and said they know of some.

Quote:
EJB posted pictures of the only known (to this group, anyway,) pure, full blooded McGraws. The rumpless birds pictured first were not, apparently, the finished product, but became Manx Rumpies. (also created by Albert McGraw.)

Back
Top Bottom