houseofclucks "barred Rocks" ?

barg

Songster
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
In responce to houseofclucks posting about his coop design:
Im starting this as a new thread in this category.

I am still trying to figure out the difference between barred rocks and dominiques.
Is there really any difference or is it only at the show level that they make the distinction.
As a novice, the chickens in the picture of houseofclucks "Barred Rocks" look like dominiques to me, how can you tell?

In the original post
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3699
speckledhen gave this responce to houseofclucks:
Quote:
Thanks,
Steve

I think if you go to feathersite.com you'll find that Barred Rocks have a regular standup comb while Dominiques have more of a pea comb. Rocks also may be just a bit heavier, too, but I'm not sure about that one.

Here is a Pic of a Barred rock Rooster and Hen
barred_rock_std_rooster.jpg

image.jpg

And here is a Dominique Rooster and Hen
dominique_Rooster_STD.jpg

Dominique-1.jpg

You can see the difference in the Comb types. the Barred Rock has a single comb, and the Dominique has a Rose Comb.

here is chart with the different comb types.
pix1-46.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all! A Barred rock has a single comb and a Dominiques have a rose comb. The Dominiques adults are smaller then the Barred rocks. Now I'm not a chicken expert, I just read up a little on the subject when I saw your question. I don't know if the temperment is the same. They both lay brown eggs. I hope this helps. Mabey someone out there with more chicken knowledge can add more.

What I read was that barred rocks were derived from dominiques, dominiques are supposed to be the oldest breed in U.S.
Based on everything iv'e read , it seems like dominiques were bred to something else creating a variety of different Plymoth rock types; one of which resembles the dominique.
The way I figure it, this is just breeding back to the original dominique while retaining the different size and comb, everything else ive read on the 2 seems to be identical, IE temperment, behavior, egg production, etc...

But... I imagine that the New comb trait must be a dominant feature and that the rose comb would probably still be retained in the line in some places (possibly), which would lead to the evntuality of 2 rocks producing all the charactoristics of a dominique. And if that were true then there could be alot of cross over in the Non -Show chicken world, and thats what im wondering about.

Moreover I think too much and read too little so feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
lol.png

Thanks for your feedback,

Don't just chuckle, correct me when im wrong, that's what im here for
tongue.png

Last edited:
Ok i just looked it up and the single comb is the recessive, (yes I actually read something outside this forum)

Which just means that a dominique could still come up with an offspring with a single comb unless the gene was completly removed a long time ago through some serious culling and inbreeding.
Even so, you could never be sure you completly removed the recessive trait and,that could again lead to the problem i referred to earlier of cross-over between the 2 different types in an uncontrolled environment.

Again, feel free to correct me if im wrong.
Or let me know if i got it right.

Eventually i'll have all the dominant and recessive traits for chickens figured out
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks Barg, I've read on some of the trait for both breeds and it seems that they sound like the same animal (forgive the pun) on characteristics and behavior. I Understand the Barring and the rose traits ,guess some of my hens have been from both sides of the gene pool. Thanks for checking into the big Q on the differences ,Been curious to this myself. Have a great day

Back
Top Bottom