Poop Boards above nesting boxes, show them? Please.

WoofMeowCluck

Dark Speckled Egg Lover
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
I'm redoing the coop and would like to change the ladder style roost to a roost w/ poop board over the nesting boxes to make for more floor space in the coop and easier clean up.

I can't seem to get a good idea for what it should look like, measurements for how wide the poop board should be so no dropping fall in front of the nesting boxes - also measurements of the nesting boxes and how high off the ground it should be. If you have a set up like that could you please post pics & measurements so I can see it? My girls would appreciate it too!
lol.png

There will be 20 chickens in an 10 x 12 coop. They have a pred proof run and also almost half an acrer of fence surrounging the coop and run to free range on. They are outside every day until it's raing hard.

Thanks for any pics and suggestion!!!

I like to go to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore and get old countertops. I put those at countertop height and stack 2 deep nests under, have a section for the pop door and food and water, and then more nests. This coop has 2 boards, a wooden one over nest boxes and a countertop over a 'Broody Tube' (a long area fenced off for broodies, 6' long with the door in one end).

In this coop, 26 hens have 6 boxes...and, of course, they use one!!

14596_coop031109_005.jpg

That looks great! Where is the roost above the poop board? How high is it from the counter top board?

I don't know if these pics illustrate enough, but the PROBLEM in my coop with the nest boxes under the poop shelf is I put them in the back of the coop. Not easy to collect eggs or manage/clean the nest boxes. To make it even more complicated, I installed a few perches for the Silkies to hop up on, as they enjoy the comraderie of the higher-up roosts but can't make it that high without help; now those helper perches are blocking my way to the back of the coop and I do crazy-yoga to reach back there to collect eggs.

25976_p110111_1526.jpg

25976_06232010766.jpg

I do enjoy soaping things and scraping perches and shelves, part of why I enjoy keeping chickens, but this is ridiculous. I need to put all this along the left or right side, not at the back.
hu.gif

I hope this helps! Better to make mistakes vicariously than shell out time and money on mistakes already made LOL!

Quote:
I make sure the board is 25"+ front to back to give them room to walk around on the board, and the roost is about 8"-10" above the board. I have boards in the same height on 3 walls of the 8'x8' shed, and they just spread out over the area as they choose. This works great, and the deep boards work for those who want to submit to lower positions on the hierarchy not sleeping on the roost, but rather in front of the rest, on the board. This leaves about 4' of excess roost, but some of the girls want to be humble.

Here's a better pic of it in the beginning, prior to the boards going all the way back, and before the 4 nests were installed on the far laft corner. The roost is actually about 4 or 5" lower than this now.

14596_coop031109_010.jpg

6chickens in St. Charles :

I don't know if these pics illustrate enough, but the PROBLEM in my coop with the nest boxes under the poop shelf is I put them in the back of the coop. Not easy to collect eggs or manage/clean the nest boxes. To make it even more complicated, I installed a few perches for the Silkies to hop up on, as they enjoy the comraderie of the higher-up roosts but can't make it that high without help; now those helper perches are blocking my way to the back of the coop and I do crazy-yoga to reach back there to collect eggs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/25976_p110111_1526.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/25976_06232010766.jpg

I do enjoy soaping things and scraping perches and shelves, part of why I enjoy keeping chickens, but this is ridiculous. I need to put all this along the left or right side, not at the back.
hu.gif

I hope this helps! Better to make mistakes vicariously than shell out time and money on mistakes already made LOL!

Yes, thanks, that helps. Nice set up you have! Would it help if you put a solid walk way board for the Silkies to walk to the roosts? Love your coop decor too!​

Quote:
Yes, that does give me a better idea, thanks. I could modify that as I want the roosts to be lower, the Marans are on the heavy side and I'm always worried they will get hurt jumping up and off the roosts. I could also make a walk board to use as well. So much to do and so little time to get it done!! I'm looking for another coop or a used shed to convert. How did that happen? Last year I thought one coop would be PLENTY - now I'm think maybe 3 coops would be better
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom